cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Server backup causes vhd inflation

Chris_Gerrard
Level 4
Hello,

Over the last couple of weeks one of our Virtual Servers (Virtual Server 2005) has started exhibiting odd behaviour.

Our virtual machines are frequently saved, paused or turned off. For this reason, we backup the vhd/vmc files on the host server to ensure we always have a recent backup available.

After a successful backup is completed, the .vhd files for any running virtual servers rapidly increase in size; anywhere from 3 to 10 times the original size. There are no errors in the job log or in the event logs on the host virtual server. The virtual server itself does not grow but the disk defragmenter reports BIG chunks of empty space.

We use AOFO (Automically select) and have 5 other host virtual servers which get backed up in the same manner and do not have this problem.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,
Chris G
4 REPLIES 4

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We would like to know the type of files that you are backing up?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

Chris_Gerrard
Level 4
On our virtual servers... we are backing up the .vmc and .vhd files for our guest virtual servers on all of our host machines. Only 1 of the 6 are experiencing this problem.

We backup numerous servers with a mixture of different files.

Chris_Gerrard
Level 4
Bump.

Sorry but this issue is a big concern as the virtual servers are among our biggest development servers and not being able to back them up is becoming a critical error.

Chris_Gerrard
Level 4
I will continue to bump my post until I am provided with ANY kind of support other than questions with extremely obvious answers...