cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware GRT restore on second disk not working on BE2010

plu34
Level 2

GRT restore on virtual machines second disk doesn't work! Is it not supported? or just a bug? I'm really disappointed, I think that the vmware agent in BE2010 is a complete waste of money without that support.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/345937.htm  

2 REPLIES 2

24x7spyz
Level 3

I just applied the latest patch thinking, oh good they finally fixed the SQL/Exchange install on another drive besides the default.  Tried a restore.....  No luck, now we cannot restore because it's on a second volume.  Come on, this is crazy, what's the point of having this option.  KB article says to backup the data in the normal method.  OK, great so now one pass with VMware agent, then one to gather everything that doesn't get backed up with the agent?  This is really dumb.  Notice to everyone that reads this stuff, make sure you TEST YOUR RESTORES before actually having to use them.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Ah yes, because Symantec gets it right just like all the other software companies the first time.  

And yes, everyone should be testing restores, on at least a monthly basis.  Sadly no one does.

I for one love the vmware agent from a cost standpoint...  Not to mention SAN based backups are fast.  It sucks to run into bugs like GRT from 2nd disks not working, backing up to a datadomain box breaks GRT, etc...  But there is no way to predict these things in initial builds until it's out in the wild, and you folks open support cases so they can be addressed.

I for one love this forum, but it's also not a proper tech support place that bugs will be addressed from.  Create a new post if you have an issue, and open a support case with a real support case #, rather than complaining here.  It wont get fixed it you just post on a public forum.