cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What backup files are safe to delete?

tdrescher
Not applicable

Our environment is set to run backups to disk, and then to backup that data to tape so the disk space can be cleared out for further backups.

Our tape drive died so the data hasn't been being backed up to tape, and now our storage array is full.

What I'd like to know is what files are safe to delete from the location we use to backup data to? There are a number of .bkf files, some as old as October, most recent - can the "old" ones be safely deleted?

There are also a few "IMG######" folders with a number of files inside of them as well - are they safe to delete?

I need to clear up some space, but I don't want to delete something that could prevent future potential restores from working, or something that would prevent the existing disk backups from saving correctly.

1 REPLY 1

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

The destination contains backup sets and hence they are important. BKF is the media which contains non GRT sets, IMG folder contains GRT sets (example Exchange backup with GRT selected , hence you will find exchange database files in the IMG folder). Since these are backups you will have to decide which ones to delete. You can go to Storage Tab -> inside the Disk Storage and check the Backup Sets you need. The ones which you do not need can be deleted from there. In BE 2012 if you delete the backup sets from GUI then they are also removed from Destination Disk Storage.

Refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74449