cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if the Computer that the Veritas Backup Exe was installed went down

Vince_Law
Level 2
I have a question and hope that you can give me some insight. I have installed and used Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 for backuping machines. All the data are backed up to external tapes. Currently, if I want to restore any data, the Veritas Backup Exec has the info about which tapes that contains the correct data to use. My question is, what if the machine that hosts the Veritas Backup Exec server went down such as the OS can not run anymore and I re-install Veritas Backup Exec on another machine, how can I get back the restoring info and import it into the new machine? Thank you so much in advance!

Best Regards,
Vince
2 REPLIES 2

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
A best practice would be to perform a full backup of the entire Backup Exec installation directory daily, and timed to run after all other backups have finished.
A second best practice would be to dedicate a slot in the library (like slot 1) or a specially marked tape if using stand-alone drives for the Backup Exec backup. You need to do this so that you'll be able to identify this tape when the server is down.

The two key things to capture in the backup is the \catalogs directory and a file called bedb.bak. The \catalogs directory contains all of the backup metadata (the data viewed in the restore tab)
The bedb.bak file is the backup exec database backup. It contains the media, job, and device database information.

once installing BE onto an alternate machine, the catalog tape would be inventoried then the Veritas data would be restored to the alternate server. Using the Beutility.exe tool, the BE database can be restored, and stopping/starting the service will re-index the catalogs into the alternate server.

You can find more details in the knowledge base, but this covers the major points. - hope this helps.

Vince_Law
Level 2
The info is very helpful and that is what I need. Thank you so much!

-Vince