cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Best Practice for Symantec Backup Exec 2010 to shorten the backup time?

GCY
Level 2

Hi All,

First of all, please forgive me if i have silly question.

As currrently I'm learning on data backup, let's say I have 16TB of data to backup using Symantec backup exec, I'm wondering that is there anyway to shortern the backup time?

1. Is there anyway for the Symantec Backup Exec 2010/2014 to handle any autoloader that cascadable?

2. is there any autoloader with twin write head that support by symantec backup 2010/2014?

Hope there is someone can give some advice on this.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Q1. yes Q2. Yes, provided it is in the HCl. If i am not mistaken, your library can only take one tape drive

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE will only use one tape drive for one job. It will not not be able to use multiple tape drives for one job. If you have more than one tape drive in your library, you can run multiple jobs to target each of these tape drives. For the second and subsequent tape drives in each tape library, you need to get a LEO license. If the library is supported and it can take multiple tape drives, then BE will support it. See the HCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Please refer the following docuement

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3276

GCY
Level 2

Hi PKH, meaning that if i have 2 or more tape drive (autoloader), i can set multiple job run at the same time to multiple tape drive in Symantec Backup Exec? (if i purchase a LEO license?)

As currently i have HP 1/8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS Autoloader, can i just add in any LTO6 tape drive in?

Hi RahuIG, Thanks for your information that help me in calculation. Anyway... normally any best practices for large amount of data's company to do their backup?

Million thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Q1. yes Q2. Yes, provided it is in the HCl. If i am not mistaken, your library can only take one tape drive

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Consider running DIFF/INCR or even deduplication backups instead of FULL backups to tape. These would ideally run to disk first before being streamed off to tape at a more convenient, less busy time.

Thanks!