cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS/ISCSI - media capacity online 0

Tempera
Level 3

Just setup on BE2010 nas/iscsi backup. Done before but now cannot get working. Report shows media capacity 0. Any ideas how to fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...create a B2D on that and run a backup job.

BE might be confusing itself with not being able to correctly read the amount of disk space on the NAS. It can't see what is free (or available) and therefore sees 0Kb and nothing available.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

Unless you present iSCSI LUNs to the media server, Backup Exec will be unaware of the amount of space on offer on the NAS due to the fact it sees it as a share.

iSCSI LUNs are a fixed size, and the manner in which they are presented to the media server, appear local. They therefore have a free/used space view within Windows, and creating a B2D on an iSCSI LUN means BE is aware of how much disk space will be available for continued backups.

A CIFS share doesn't allow for this, and you will always see 0Kb free space. The only way to monitor how much disk space is still free is by monitoring the NAS itself.

Thanks!

Tempera
Level 3

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your answer though I got a little bit confused about it. The problem is that BE will not start a backup job due to 0 space.

Please find below what I have done so far.

1. Created a mapped iSCSI Lun of 600 GB NFTS, named target-2.

2. Connected to it via iSCSI initiator using ip.

3. In disk management created a 600 GB NFTS. 

In windows, the new folder shows up ok showing a space of 600. What exactly should I do to get it working?

Thanks!

CraigV

...create a B2D on that and run a backup job.

BE might be confusing itself with not being able to correctly read the amount of disk space on the NAS. It can't see what is free (or available) and therefore sees 0Kb and nothing available.

Thanks!