cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tape is currently in my tape drive?

Gob
Level 3

OK, this is probably a dumb question. But from Backup Exec 2010, how do I know what tape is currently in my tape drive?

I have an alert saying to insert overwritable media, but when I look at my drive under the devices tab, it says in use, but I don't see what tape is currently inserted.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Normally you would run an inventory job to tell which tape is in the drive.  In your case, since you are in the middle of a job, go to the Devices tab and click on your tape drive.  The label of the current tape would be shown.

If you receive an alert asking for overwriteable media, then you should just eject the tape in the drive and put in an overwriteable media.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Normally you would run an inventory job to tell which tape is in the drive.  In your case, since you are in the middle of a job, go to the Devices tab and click on your tape drive.  The label of the current tape would be shown.

If you receive an alert asking for overwriteable media, then you should just eject the tape in the drive and put in an overwriteable media.

Gob
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. When I check the tape drive under the Devices tab it says "None" under the Media Label column. Does that mean no tape is in the drive? I don't have physical access to the server and can't check it myself. I asked someone else to put a tape in before they left for the day, but I am thinking they forgot to do that.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When it says None, it means that there is no tape in the drive.