cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Media Type is for which tape?

ThomasV_
Level 3

Hi,

Id like to use new tapes with my Library.

After the Import the Tapes are displayed with a ?

Ok, I have to set the Media Type, but which one?

The first few ones are not right.

LTO CLN

LTO -10 (87m, 10GB)

to

LTO3 (680m, 400 GB)

But what means

LTO [7]

to

LTO [24]

and

LTO

Ive got HP LTO Ultrium  1,6 TB RW Tapes (C7974A)

Who can help?

15 REPLIES 15

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Media Type:

LTO4- 800  GB native and 1.6 TB compressed mode

LTO5: 1.6 TB native and 3.2 TB compressed mode.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Media type: Type of media that you can place in the device. You can specify the media types to use for read or write operations. For defining bar code rules media types that have numbers in brackets are useful.

ThomasV_
Level 3

OK, my post was obviusly unclear.

I know, that I have LTO4 Tapes.

But I don't know what Backup Exec means with the LTO Subtypes.

Which Subtype of Backup exec is the one I need if I use LTO4 Tapes?

Do I need

LTO[20] or

LTO[21] or what else?

ThomasV_
Level 3

Do you mean, that it is totaly regardless which one I choose?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you shouldn't have to set anything unless you have specifically enabled barcode rules. If you have barcodes on your tapes, and your drive has a barcode reader, that would be enough for BE to know what media you were using...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

LTO 4 media subtype is present in BE 2010. May not be in earlier versions.not sure. 

Are you getting any issues, if you are not configuring these settings?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I agree with CraigV you should not have to worry about that setting as it kind of applies when Barcodes are being used and and more importantly when your library contains mixed drive drive types so mixed media (for instance LTO-3 and LTO-4 in one library)

Additionally the media should show the correct information once you have written to it.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@Colin

If media sub type LTO4 is not present in device properties, and user inserts LTO4 tape into drive will it work fine?  

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If the drive itself is reporting as LTO4 and LTO4 tapes are used, as far as I  am aware it will be seen as an LTO4 tape at the point of the write. Immediately after an Inventory of a brand new tape might show odd information against the tape as it is possible some statistics are only correctly reported once some data has been written to the media.

Note Original Poster is talking about the displayed tape information - not the device properties - if the device doesn't show as LTO-4 then you have a hardware detection issue.

ThomasV_
Level 3

Ok, if I understand you right, the MediaTyp Property of a Media is not nessesary to use a tape.

Right?

Than I have an other problem :)

I have took a set of new Medias and put it into the Library.

I made a inventure scan

I put the tapes to 3 different mediasets

but i cant use any of them

is ther anywhere a step by step guide for dummies?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I have took a set of new Medias and put it into the Library.

I made a inventure scan

I put the tapes to 3 different mediasets

Steps 1 & @ are correct, but you should not do Step 3

When you move a tape into a media set, it takes on all properties of the media set as of the time of the move.  So if the media set has a 7 day OPP, you will not be able to write to the tape for 7 days

After labeling a tape (or after the first inventory of a new tape when BackupExec does an automatic label) just leave the volume in the scratch media set, and let BackupExec move it to the appropriate set when the job rins

If you have a loader/library and want a specific tape used with a specific job, partition the loader and point your jobs to the appropriate partition

ThomasV_
Level 3

all was fine

know after the start of the real job all medias are marked as bad.

They were bought last week!

I deletet the Medias and reinventarisiet them. They are Market as bad again.

Whats up?

ThomasV_
Level 3

Is this partitioning a job ob BE ore of the Library?

jdbishop
Level 2

Hi, we recently upgraded our library so we could utilise LTO5 tapes. When I scan the autoloader the LTO5 tapes are labeled as "Unknown". In the media sub-types there is no listing for LTO5 and the capacity. It is almost like Backup Exec 2010R2 does not know about LTO5 tapes.

Note : WE have 6 drives in the autoloader. 3 x LTO4 and 3 x LTO5. 

How do I get Backup Exec to recognise the LTO5 tapes?

thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Please open a  new thread for this problem