cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Software

Level 2
We have a number of servers running backup exec 9.1 and we would like to be able to monitor all the jobs from one console and have a web browser interface to check the backups. is this possible and if so what vertias software is it and where can i get it.
thank you
3 REPLIES 3

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Well, you can go two ways...

9.1 has a web interface which can be installed on any server running SAK (Server Appliance Kit), or in Windows 2K3 if you enable a few windows components (Remote Administration, Terminal Server) In BE, you must start the installation process and select "Web Administration Console" (it's free) and let it install. If it has a red x and cannot be set to install, it means you do not have SAK installed, or are missing a windows component.

To use it, you simply open Internet Explorer on any machine and type in "https://:8098" and you will see the server appliance screen. Click on Backup Exec tab and you will see a web interface for BE. Things are organized pretty much exactly as they are in normal BE, some things are moved a bit due to the nature of SAK.

The issue with this for you though is it only allows you to administer that machine. If you install SAK on every machine, or enable the items on W2K3 machines, then you could do as you want an administrate every machine from one web browser.

A better option which is designed to do as you want is an option in Backup Exec 10, which is conveniently called Central Administration Console. This feature allows you to create and submit jobs to all the managed media servers you have, all alerts and catalogs are centralized, etc.

The 10.0 feature is the best method since you only have to open one UI to do everything. The 9.1 web interface option is doable if you have a budget and don't mind going from one web address to another. 10.0 also has the web interface.

Level 2
thanks for the info

i've seen something called exec view does that allow you to view the backup job success from one pc or server?

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
You are correct, that is a third option, I just always think of the other two first.