cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which update is missing/manual install advanced open file option

robnicholson
Level 6

Where to start! First, I wish that BE remote publish/update of agents actually worked or at least gave a more meaningful reason why they fail...

BE 2010 R2 announced that one of our servers didn't have the correct version of the agent installed:

http://www.picpaste.com/BE_remote_agent-5kzdjnTX.png

Okay I thought, I'd game - it's a while since I tried using the BE push wizard to upgrade a client because in the past it was almost useless and never worked.

I went through the procedure and it said "server004.company.local ready to apply 6 updates". I put in a domain administrator account details and started update (target = Windows 2003, no firewall BTW).

Wasn't too surprised when it failed... as I said, I've never had any luck with push update of agents. Came up with errror 1603 and a brief read of the many posts on this error on these forums indicated that a manual upgrade is needed.

So logged onto the console and tried to run Setupaa.cmd from \\server\agents which is a share to the Agents folder in Backup Exec itself. Nice to see the setup program still cannot run from UNC paths - ho hum! So copied RAWS32 folder locally and ran install and that upgraded the remote agent client to v13.0 Rev. 4164.109.

However, go through the wizard in BE itself and it's still showing 1 update is needed:

http://www.picpaste.com/BE_update-bM28WFmZ.png

I guess it would be too much to ask that this wizard actually indicated which updates were ready to apply... but once again, the update from this wizard fails with 1603 and if I've got the time, I'll try and sort that out later.

So how do you find out which update is to be applied?

I have a suspicion that it's the open file option. So another question - is the advanced open file option an extra bit of software that has to be installed on the remote server? How do you ascertain whether it's installed and if it is, what version?

And if it is an extra to be installed, how to do install/update it manually?

Cheers, Rob.

7 REPLIES 7

robnicholson
Level 6

I've just noticed there is a setupaofo.cmd batch file in there which runs:

@start /wait setup /AOFO: /S:

So I tried running that from the command line but with the /S: (silent?) option and it goes through installation but I don't think it's trying to install the advanced option file option:

http://www.picpaste.com/BE_update2-Vje96Lon.png

So I guess the question right now is still how do you manually install the AOFO option on the remote server?

Cheers, Rob.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Rob 

I guess last week there was a smiliar kind of forum thread. Just compare the 

version of remote agent from the media server and the remote server which is 

in question. 

robnicholson
Level 6

Hi there,

I thought somebody else might have had the same problem as this isn't a specifically unusual installation.

I've just uninstalled BE remote agent entirely from this server and run setaofo.cmd alone and this appears to be install the remote agent and, one assumes, the AOFO option. As there doesn't appear to be any easy way to ascertain what version of the AOFO is installed, I'll have to dig further.

The BE wizard to push out updates is still saying 1 update is needed though :( I'll try giving the server a reboot - it's our development server so don't mind doing that without schedulign downtime.

Cheers, Rob.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Also you dont need to install the AOFO option on the remote server if you server is running Windows 2003 or 2008 server . AOFO need to be install on server like Windows 2000 where you dont have VSS

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Still i would say compare the version of remote agent, if the version is same then

there is nothing to worry about.

robnicholson
Level 6

>AOFO need to be install on server like Windows 2000 where you dont have VSS

Ahh - that's a key bit of information and is something one could overlook if one has been using BE since 2000 days.

Might explain why it doesn't appear in the list of options on Windows 2003 when installing manually on the server.

Cheers, Rob.

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

@ AmolZeroCool

Ok we do not worry, but it stills remains a bug. When version on BE Server is same than on remoteserver, why did BE still showing "One update missing" ?

Error applies also to BE 2010R2 - SP1

Regrads Timo