cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are jobs only being written to 4 tapes out of a 10 tape library?

Lber
Level 3
Could someone explain this to me, I'm using a VXA 320 tape library, containing 9 tapes plus a cleaning tape.
I backup about 80 - 90 Gig per evening backup. The jobs have been running for a couple of weeks now, and after looking at the details of each of the tapes in the media pool, it appears that 5 of the tapes have never been written to in that time. Is this correct??

My understanding would be that if i enter all of the available tapes in the media pool, that Backup Exec would work it's way through the blank tapes, until they are all written to, and then start over writing.

Or is this something i need to tell BUE to do?

The other thing would be i guess to assign a tape to a media pool per day?? is this an option?

Thanks for any help
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From Tools\Options\Media Management  which is selected

- Use scratch media before overwritable media in target media set

- Use overwritable media in target media set before scratch media

Lber
Level 3
it's currently set at
overwrite scratch media before over writing recyclable media contained in the targeted media set

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Wel, that shoots down that theory, then  Smiley Wink

Are your jobs all overwrite?
Has the library been partitioned?

Lber
Level 3
Hi Ken,
 all i have done is to create a media pool, with the 9 tapes imported in the media pool, and then i have a second set of 9 in another pool. My intention is to rotate the tapes every two weeks.

Is the best solution to create a partition containing the 9 tapes and then create another for the 2nd set?

Thanks for your help so far.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What do you mean by in the media pool  ?

In the media set, or in the magazine?

If you inventory one of the tapes that is not being used, what does the Overwrite Period show as?

Lber
Level 3
Apologies, i meant media set.
I need to take a look at BUE tomorrow to get the answer for you.

Cheers