cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will not backup to all Backup-to-Disk folders

jeffbrown
Level 3
I have four Backup-to-Disk folders setup. My job is setup to use "All Devices" on the server. However, it's only using three of them. What would cause it to not use all of them? I'm backing up 2.5 TB of data, and each Backup-to-Disk folder is 1 TB.
3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If there is just one job and submitted to "all devices", it would randomly decide on one of the devices and backup to that device. If you would like the job to go to fourth backup to disk folder, you may create 4 jobs and when the first three take 3 of the folders the fourth job would pick the remaining one. So, it is really not possible to exactly predict as to which backup to disk folder would be taken if the job is directed to a device pool like "all devices".

Thanks

Icharus
Level 3
I think Hermant is correct, but if you are only running a single job there should not be any reason for 4 backup folders.  I think I'd use no more than 2 and set the file size for each folder around 1GB fixed.  I think this will help with drive utilization and performance. 

I think with 1TB files, you are going to waste an awful lot of space on the drive as your retention policy probably keeps them from being overwritten for weeks.  If you are using fixed file sizes, those 1TB files are probably not filling up and there will be wasted space.  If you don't use fixed sizes then you are probably going to have major fragmentation problems down the road.

Hank
Level 3
Partner
I have three B-2-D folders set on three USB external hard drives, configured this way:

Backup-to-disk folder 1 -- path: E: (500GB)
Backup-to-disk folder 2 -- path: F: (150GB)
Backup-to-disk folder 3 -- path: G: (1.5TB)

I get the error:

Job ended: Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 11:05:24 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000848f - Insufficient disk space. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33935

B-2-D folder 2 is the problem. It is out of space. But B-2-D folder 3 has plenty of space.

If you have your jobs set to use "All Devices," how can I get BE to continue the job on another B-2-D folder? Why does it have to try to write to disk that has no overwritable media? Can't it get over the fact that its first choice is a bad one and move on to greener pastures?

Oh, Backup Exec, you pain me so....