cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2003 Exchange 2003

Jan_Lee
Level 3
Getting an error message when trying to backup Exhange first store and system state. Other stores backup OK
Access to a device was not authorized with this version of backup exec. We are using version 10.00 of backup exec and Exchange agent
29 REPLIES 29

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Is it a local backup or remote backup?

Have you inserted exchange agent license on media server?

Split the backup for test purpose and check if the error occurs just on exchange or system state.

Also refer: http://support.veritas.com/docs/257059

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jan_Lee
Level 3
It is a local backup. I checked 257059 which seemed to indicate I needed an SQL license. I chose the Backup exec sql option so did not think I needed an SQL license. I will try just baking up the system state

Jan_Lee
Level 3
Both licenses have been installed

Jan_Lee
Level 3
Just split the backups, system state ran successfully, when backing up the first starage group and public folders, came up with the error "Backup 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly."

The user name and password was not changed

Jan_Lee
Level 3
I just ran the backup wizard and put in the system account name and password and got the following error "Backup 00004 -- The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec."

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
For Exchange you need the Exchange Option and for System State you need RAWS.
If you have BEWS on the same server as Exchange, then you only need Exchange Option.

But SQL? Absolutely not.
Unless licensing goes really berserk.

Jan_Lee
Level 3
I have just tried a full backup of the C drive system state and Mailbox stores, missing out only the first storage group with a mailbox store and public folders.. The job was successful. The 3 other mail storage groups I have created backed up OK. I then tried to just backup the first mailbox store and received this error
"Access to the device \\ABC2K32201\Microsoft Information Store\SYS | PUB is not authorized with this edition of the product."

I have both the Exchange license and the Windows server licenses installed. I have tried it on the second new 2003 windows server we have built and the same thing is happening

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
We're doing brick-level (or mailbox items) just for the personal stores.

Jan_Lee
Level 3
How do I get the first storage group to back up? I cannot move mailboxes from our existing windows 2000/Exchange 2000 server, until the backup works successfully

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
You might want to consider eseutil in the Exchange Server\bin folder.
Run an offline Defrag and Store repair and after that, try backing up again.

Of course, after you take the store offline, copy the edb and stm files to a safe location before running eseutil. Then you can always fall back on these stores.

Jan_Lee
Level 3
I have not yet put any mailboxes or public folders into this store except for the system ones that are put in when Exchange is installed, so I do not see how there can be a problem with the store . In the 2000 version I have dealt with corrupted stores and fixed them using eseutil, the error message I am getting on this version is not not saying the database is corrupt. But in case it is corrupted I have just dismounted the store, deleted the existing store *.edb and *.stm files. I remounted the store, creating new files and have run the backup again. The backup comes up with the same message
"Backup 00014 -- The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec."

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
The device you're backing up to is HCL for BEWS?
You might want to consider upgrading to BEWS 10.d with the newest driverpack available.
You can run it if you have a valid 10.0 license.

Vincent_Rabbat
Level 3
Your credentials you use in backup exec must have domain / exchange enterprise admin full access.

Jan_Lee
Level 3
Dwonloaded version 10d installed it and ran a backup and again it backed up everything except the first storage group. Error message "e0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec."

Jan_Lee
Level 3
The user is a member of Enterprise admins and of the domain admins

Vincent_Rabbat
Level 3
just try using with administrator credentials

Jan_Lee
Level 3
I have used the main administrator account in the domain, I have used my own account which the same permissions and another backup administrator account, all get the same message for the one Mailbox store.
I have tested the credentials using the wizard and they all pass

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
Have you delegated rights (from the Exchange System Manager) to the account that is going to run the Backup process?

Jan_Lee
Level 3
The administrator account I normally use was the one that was deletegated by default. I have added my own account to the delegated list too and ran another backup job again, under my logon. I am still getting that error message