cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows remote agent will not start after upgrade to 11d

BlueMike1676
Level 2
Hi,

I have just upgraded my backup exec server from v 9.1 rev 4691 to 11d rev 7170. The server is running Win SBS 2003 R2 SP2.  The upgade of the server seems to have gone fine and it seems to work ok.  But I am having problems with a remote agent on a Windows XP Pro workstation with SP2.  This PC has been backed up for a couple of years with version 9.1 ok but after uninstalling the old version and upgrading to the 11d 7170 RAWS agent, the remote agent service on the PC will no longer start.  The upgrade log shows the install of the 11d RAWS agent completed successfully. In the services application, when I manually start the service, it says the beremote service is starting but then after a few minutes if times out and and the services utility reports a timeout error.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the 11d RAWS agent several times and uninstalled all virus and firewall software (McAfee 2007).  Eventually I reverted back to version 9.1 after uninstalling the 11d RAWS and all was ok again when I backed up the PC using the version 9.1 backup exec server (I don't think I can use an 11d server with a 9.1 agent).  I have installed the 11d RAWS on another Win XP PC and that is ok.

The funny thing is that the app event log shows no messages from the 11d RAWS agent.  I was expecting it to report some problems on startup.  When I start the 11d RAWS utility on the win xp PC it says it cannot access the registry to retieve the 'publish to servers' information.

I suspect there is a problem with the 11d RAWS agent accessing the registry and that is why the agent service will not start and why the utility gives the error message.  I have checked the registry keys and they seem to have the right permissions.  But it could be that I don't know where all the keys are located or I don't know what the permissions should be.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,  Mike

Message Edited by MikeCope on 10-07-2007 02:31 PM
0 REPLIES 0