cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround for SQL file backuos

corerobin2009
Not applicable

Hello.  I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.  I am using Backup Exed for Windows Servers, v. 11d and it is configured to perform a full daily backup each workday (after hours, of course).  I notice each day the follwing in my job log-

Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\glaven.CORE.local\C: Unable to open the item \\glaven.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\glaven.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.log - skipped.
Backup- \\Madison.CORE.local\C: Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\BILLPAY.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\BILLPAY_log.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\JCR.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\JCR_log.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\master.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\mastlog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\model.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\modellog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\msdbdata.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\msdblog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\tempdb.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\templog.ldf - skipped.
Backup- \\Madison.CORE.local\D: DATAUnable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\ANGIETEST54.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\ANGIETEST541.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\ANGIETEST541_log.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\ANGIETEST54_log.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\OCEAN.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\OCEAN_log.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\OMDSQL.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\Madison.CORE.local\D:\Data\OMDSQL.mdf - skipped.

I've read some information on this that says that the SQL Agent is needed to backup these types of files.  Is this true?  We do not have the necessary agent and am trying to avoid the expense if possible while still capturing these files in the backup.  Does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 Hi 

You have to either get the SQL agent license and backup the SQL database (no need to backup these .mdf and .ldf directly, as that gets backup up automatically along with database  )  .  

If you do not want to purchase a license , you can stop SQL services and do an Offline backup . Since the database is in use , those files are getting skipped.

Thanks 
Zaki 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you want to do flat file backups, you also need to turn off Automatic File Exclusion, or the files will still  be skipped

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm