cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Blind, need help

Jonglory
Level 2

I have recently starting supporting a client who has had a nasty ransom ware attack. The previous Itcomapny are not available to answer any of my questions.

Basiclly i have been handed a backup disk the has some backup on it by Back Exec, i dont know what version of the product they are for and am looking to find a soultion to restore these files. The company i am working for dont know so I am kind of working blind here.

I am downloading a trail version of 15 to install on the server to see if these files can be recovered, Should all go well im sure i can talk company in to buying license again for product.

Does anyone where i would start to try and restore and will 15 work if backups are from an older version

Kind Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 15 should be able to read backup sets by previous versions of BE, provided they are not so old such that the technology is no longer supported.

You can follow the procedure in my article below to take a look at what you have

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

It is still valid for BE 15

Do read the Admin Guide for details.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 15 should be able to read backup sets by previous versions of BE, provided they are not so old such that the technology is no longer supported.

You can follow the procedure in my article below to take a look at what you have

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

It is still valid for BE 15

Do read the Admin Guide for details.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Extra info:

If the ransomware attack has touched the BKF files or IMG folders then you might still have an issue. (so I hope this disk was offline when the attack took place)

Also if this disk does not contain either IMG folders (with content) or BKF files then it does not contain media relating to Backup Exec.

Jonglory
Level 2

Thanks for response pkh/Colin

The disk was offline when attack hit as far as i am aware, and contains BFK files and img folder.

My Main Issue at the moment is i can't seem to install Back Up Exec on the server as it says it is still installed though no trace of the program is there as far as i can see (Add remove programs, in windows program files folder) The server can read the backup disk when inserted (I am confident malware has been removed) but when I insert disk in any other device i get a permissons error when trying to access.

If i Install Back EXEC on a different server would this allow the disk to be read? This is what I am in the process of doing.

Kind Regards

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If i Install Back EXEC on a different server would this allow the disk to be read?

Yes.

Jonglory
Level 2

Thanks for help guys, manage to recover some data from backups