cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writer Metadata Error

John_Polis
Level 3
I am running 9.1 on a Windows Server 2003 system and have been for the past few months. Just yesterday I started getting the following error messages at the completion of a Full System Backup:

The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred accessing the writer metadata.

It happens at the very end of the backup but it looks like all of the data has been sucessfully backed up to tape. I need to know:

1. How to tell if the data is in fact on the tape
2. How can I correct this error condition

Like I said, this just started happening after months of sucessful backups.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check the technote below to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264350

Also to check whether the data is correctly written on the tape please check the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/246958

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

John_Polis
Level 3
> I am running 9.1 on a Windows Server 2003 system and
> have been for the past few months. Just yesterday I
> started getting the following error messages at the
> completion of a Full System Backup:
>
> The job failed with the following error: A failure
> occurred accessing the writer metadata.
>
> It happens at the very end of the backup but it looks
> like all of the data has been sucessfully backed up
> to tape. I need to know:
>
> 1. How to tell if the data is in fact on the tape
> 2. How can I correct this error condition
>
> Like I said, this just started happening after months
> of sucessful backups.
>
> Thanks.

As instructed I checked Volume Shadow Copy Service and it was already set to Manual.

I still cannot complete a backup without receiving the same error message.

What can I do next? I really need to get this fixed before the week is out. I can't tell when the last time was I got a good backup because of the error.

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
I've had this on my window 2003 servers, its minging. Try the patch from
<>.
Once you have obtained/installed the patch which is included in win2k3sp1 recreate your selection list. If this doesn't solve it then go back to microsoft technical support.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

How to confirm that the data is being properly written to the tape media
http://support.veritas.com/docs/246958

===========================================
An error "A failure occurred accessing the writer metadata"

-- This problem may occur if the Volume Shadow Copy Service on either the backup server or remote server is disabled.

Refer the following technote:-
"A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata" (a000fec9 HEX or e000fec9 HEX) is reported during a failed backup
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264350

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Polis
Level 3
I am stumped. When I run VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS it returns to a C:> prompt and displays nothing. When I run VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE I get a message "No Items found that satisfy query".

Does this all mean that my Shadow Storage area is not there anymore? How do I check?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please follow the technote to resolve the issue:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261993

If it gives errors then try with the NTbackup utility as mentioned in the technote, if even that fails then please contact the specific company that produced the VSS Application Writer for further assistance.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered

questions" pool.Message was edited by:
sharvari

John_Polis
Level 3
I installed SP2 to no avail. I am still getting the same error message at the end of every backup - A failure occured accessing the writer metadata.

I'll try a different route.

Jay_Langdoc
Level 2
Any luck yet? As a workaround I have setup a systemstate backup in NT backup to run before my backup exec job runs, and then my backup exec job backsup the rest of the system including the systemstate backup file. Hope this helps you as a workaround until someone figures out a fix. Any suggestions are welcome.

John_Polis
Level 3
I have determined that something has happened to the default system writes that are installed when Server 2003 is installed. When I issue a VSSADMIN LIST WRITER command the command output is blank. It simply returns to a command prompt. All of the data on my hard drives are backing up so I've determined that it's the shadow copy stuff that is not making it to tape. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to re-instate/re-install the default system writers but there isn't a lot of material about them anywhere.

Jay_Langdoc
Level 2
Thats strange that they have just diappeared. I get a response that all of my writers are stable when I put in that command. So who knows. The interesting thing is that I am backing up three other 2003 servers that have not given me any problems.