cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writer metadata

Tommy_Eschen_So
Level 2
hey!

i have about 10 terminal servers, which prombt with a Writer metadata error.

No of the listed threads either in the forum or support pages is helping eliminating my problems

Job ended: 30. maj 2005 at 11:27:17
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup - Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?ComponentsA failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

I have tryed to set the volumen shadow copy service to manual without any solution to my problem.

Can anyone help me out.

i'm running Windows 2003 standard edition with Active directory as an domain controller (sp1 NOT installed - sp1 does NOT correct the problem either), an Veritas 9.1 with sp2.
4 REPLIES 4

Parag_Bhide
Level 3
Hi Tommy,

I understand you have already tried to set the volumen shadow copy service to manual and it has not

worked. Shadow copy component uses VSS to backup and this seems to be a vss issue. We request you to

perform the steps mentioned in the link below.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261993.htm

If the issue still persists, please check the below mentioned Microsoft Artical. It contains an update

package for VSS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833167

Note: Please check in the services applet if the Microsoft software shadow copy provider service is

started?

The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service manages software-based volume shadow copies taken by

the Volume Shadow Copy service.

If this service is stopped, software-based volume shadow copies cannot be managed.

If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Hence, while

configuring a backup job to back up a Windows 2003 machine with selections made from the Shadow Copy

Components, it should be ensured that the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service and the Volume

Shadow Copy Service are running.

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Jay_Langdoc
Level 2
I have been having the same problem for the last two months on a Server 2003 SP1 system. I have tried all of the above steps, and I am still getting the same error. Has anyone had any success correcting this error.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned in the technote if the problem persists after trying all the steps we suggest that you contact Microsoft for more information on this:

"If the VSS Application Writer failure does not reset after a period of time, Backup Exec for Windows Servers continues to fail, or the native backup utility fails, then attempt to reboot the system and contact the specific company that produced the VSS Application Writer for further assistance."

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Anna_Maria_LoPi
Level 4
We are experiencing the writer metadata error on one server in particular. I adjusted the Microsoft Shadow Copy service today and will advise if that resolved our issue. Thanks.