cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advanced file open agent

micky_smith
Not applicable
Hi,

I am running backup exec 10 with server 2003.
I am new with the program and I had a question please on advanced file open agent feature.

When I installed it remotly using the server all seemed successful. The backup server thinks thats its installed. However, the agent itself does not appear in add/remove programs and the backup failed saying to install the advanced file agent on the server. The server in question is also a 2003 server.

I have rebooted the machine but error still comes up. I'd uninstall the agent to try again but i dont think its installed. Again the backup server thinks it is. Is there a way to install the agent off a cd? I tried looking for it on the veritas website to download but that is not an option.

What can I do as a next step? Any input from anyone would be really appreciated

thanks
micky
5 REPLIES 5

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Micky,

To be able to use the Advanced Open File Option, it is needed that the license be installed on the media server. For every remote server you want to use the option on, you need to have a AOFO license.

Have you bought the Advanced Open File Option license?

Are you trying to install AOFO on the remote server?

What exactly does the error that occurs, read?

Check out the following tech note which helps with the installation of the option:

How to perform a local installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258982 (But a license is required to use the option)

Also check out the following tech note:

How to check for the presence of the Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 Advanced Open File Option on a remote machine

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256481

Hope it helps!!

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

avi_z_3
Level 3
hi

Sorry for not mentioning it..
Yes i do have a lic for the open file agent.
I verified the service running and also verified the driver being present.

I also installed manually via the rant32 directory... there was a veritas doc which had me install it via comand line.

I also have the option checked in my backups and choose the automatic option

anything else you think i can do. i'd appreciate it

thanks
m

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Can you tell us what exactly you are backing up?
- Remote server?
- System state?
- Any Databases like Exchnage SQL?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can try uninstalling AOFO and then reinstalling it.
Refer the following Article for this purpose:
How to install and uninstall the Advanced Open File Option to remote Windows servers from the command prompt
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253620.htm
===============================================
Hope that helps you. Let us know the result.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

avi_z_3
Level 3
sorry

i am backing up another windows 2003 server. the error appears when the system state is backed up

Thanks

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please mention the exact error message to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.