cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

an inconsistency was detected on the storage media...

Linda_Beam
Not applicable
Windows Server 2000 w/SP4, Backup Exec 9.1 w/SP4a & SQL v8.X w/SP3. During the verify of SQL database(s) the job fails with the message "An inconsistency was detected on the storage media in device...". This happens on any tape and the drive has been cleaned repeatedly. The final error is "0xa00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent." BE produces application log event ID's 34113 & 57612. I have gone through the steps in Doc ID: 273455, except for the defrag as Diskeeper in installed, without success.
John.
6 REPLIES 6

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please try theses steps:

1) Re-inventory the tape.
2) Go to tools options and click on the catalog tab and uncheck the box use "storage media based catalogs".
3)Now, Try cataloging again.
This will take longer time to catalog when compared to "storage media catalog" because it will catalog the tape byte by byte.
4) Try restoring now.
Yo can , re-check the option "storage media based catalogs"once this process is complete.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

John_Clemmons
Level 2
I assume I need to follow this proceedure with all tapes currently in use?

FYI, the error occurs during backup not restore.

Thanks

John_Clemmons
Level 2
FYI, Linda Bean is my customer. I, John Clemmons, am who posted the original message. Do not know why her name showed up.
John.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello John,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Clemmons
Level 2
The first attempt to "catalog" a tape failed with no job log.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

We would suggest you to perform a quick or long erase on the tape.

See the following technote in this regard:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273455

Do you receive any errors with event ids 9,11,15 in the windows event viewer?

Also make sure the hardware devices are at the latest firmware and driver level.

Do revert back on this with details:

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.