cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aofa on the BU server

Mark_McLaughlin
Level 3
What is the best practices as far as adding aofo on the server that you are running the actual BU program from.
It is a file server, but I'm just wondering if it is overkill or if in fact the BU exec program would have aofo already running?
9 REPLIES 9

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

To install AOFO on the Backup Exec server you need to buy serial numbers for the same.

With regards to the same you can contact the Veritas Sales Dept.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mark_McLaughl1
Level 3
Hi,
Actually, I wasn't asking how to do it. I was asking should I do it. I would assume the media server would have some kind of AOFO on it or SQL, I'm not sure, just by virtue of the fact that BUE is running on it. So, my question is, do I need AOFO on the media server, which is also our file server.

Thanks

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

To activate AOFO you just need to add the serial number on the media server.
If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked
assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mark_McLaughl1
Level 3
Hi,
Actually, I wasn't asking how to do it. I was asking, should I do it. I would assume the media server would have some kind of AOFO on it or SQL, I'm not sure, just by virtue of the fact that BUE is running on it. So, my question is, do I need AOFO on the media server, which is also our file server.

Thanks

Lenny_Burns
Level 3
Allow me to reply since you dont appear to be being listened to by the employees that have been writing you.

Yes.

Since it is your file server, you will undoubtedly have open files at some point.

Therefore you will need an AOFO on the BUE server.

I am unsure if the BUE server can backup its own SQL DB without a SQL agent, (Which would be insane if it couldnt).

But perhaps Veritas feels that since its using SQL DBs then they can get a slam dunk SQL agent sale by using SQL for thier own product and not allowing its backup automatically.

(This is merely speculation however.)

If they require you to buy an SQL Agent for the BEU server, then I would use a tool to stop the SQL server, copy the dir that contains the sql tables and then restart the service a few minutes BEFORE the backup begins.

Just script it.

I do this on ALL DBs that i can.

SQL servers have a tool built in to take snapshots of the databases while online and you can back the snaps without an agent of any kind.

Agents at the very lest, speed up communication.

But if you have a gigabit dedicated seperate network with two NICs in each server, one for production and the other for the backup server, and have no open files or open DBs to deal with, then I say forget using agents completely.

It would be a wast of money to buy them then.
If you set it up that way, you get it all.

You get speed and the files without argument and dont even bog the production network down!Message was edited by:
burnsl

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Since you have mentioned that you have a file server if you want to backup open files we recommend that you use AOFO option.

The Advanced Open File Option uses advanced open file and image technologies designed to alleviate issues that are sometimes encountered during backup operations,
such as protecting open files and managing shortened backup windows.

For further information please see the admin guide:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777
(pg:1063 onwards)

Also please see:
Best Practices for Using the VERITAS Volume Snapshot
Provider
(pg:1078)

Also please see the following 2 technotes as additional information:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275975
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268040

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ricky_Lee_2
Level 4
This is from my view as a user of Backup Exec for years.

In a file server, some users will not close file that they are editing before leaving the office. Especially Outlook PST file.

Without AOFO agent, pst files will be skipped because they are still opening.

I suggest to use AOFO unless you kick out user connections during backup windows.

Above is to protect user files.

For system files, the system is keep running and keep opening files all the time. If you want to protect the system as well, use AOFO.

I purchase AOFO for all installation.

Mark_McLaughl1
Level 3
Hi,
Thanks for the answers.
So I think I now know, that AOFO IS recommended on the media server if it is also the file server. The other thing I dug up in the online manual is that the AOFO license is NOT included with the BEX program, which I would think it should be. You have to purchase the license and then you can use the unused CAL from it on another server.
Can I sell my unused CAL's on EBAY or something?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please contact our Sales team to confirm this.

http://www.veritas.com/contactus/ContactUsHome.jhtml

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.