cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup and restore a database that changes everyday

Houshyar
Level 2

I have 2 SQL servers

I want backup 4 databases from 1st server and restore to second with backup exec,

these databases change everyday,

who can help me?

Do you have any solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...won't be done through BE at all. You cannot schedule a restore, much less a restore of selected data. You would need to look at something else.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi there,

Backing them up isn't a hassle. Create a backup job/policy and select the databases before putting them on a schedule.

Automatically restoring them is another story, and this can't be done with BE at all. Certainly not BE 2010 and earlier versions. You will have to manually run the restore yourself.

You can try going to the Ideas section below & adding it in, but I don't know what the chances of it being implemented will be.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Thanks!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

You won't be able to schedule the restores as CraigV said.

But if you are using SQL 2005 SP1 or higher, you can use Database Mirroring to do this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/cc917680

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Any reason you can't just schedule a SQL-to-SQL copy?

Houshyar
Level 2

I Don't know how can do that,

I have a physical server with about 70 databases, I want copy only 4 of them to a virtual machine every day but i don't know how can i do this.

Do you have any suggestion?

CraigV

...won't be done through BE at all. You cannot schedule a restore, much less a restore of selected data. You would need to look at something else.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

it has been a looooong time since I did much with SQL Server, but using SQL Admin (or whatever it is called nowdays) you should be able to schedule a database to database copy