cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 2014 keep ejecting tape

lalajee
Level 4

Hi,

Our backup was working fine last week but now it keep ejecting tape, I have check the eventlogs and backup logs.

these are things i have try.

• Power down the tape drive
  • Restarted server (The one which backup drive is connected to)
  • Updated drivers
  • Replace Tape drive with new one
  • Inset previouse tape into tape drive but still same problem

Drive is connected to server with SAS cable

The tape drive is HP LTO5 Ultrium 3000 SAS Ext Tape Drive (EH958A)

I dont know what else to try.

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If the tape is marked as write protected (either inside Backup Exec or by using the physical slider) that it will be ejected as soon as a job tries ot use it

If the tape is appendable but not overwriteable AND in a different media set then the job is trying to use then it will be ejected.

If the job is set to append at the start and using the same media set as the tape BUT the tape is full and not overwritable then it wil be ejected.

If the job is set to overwrite at start and the tape is overwite protected then it will be ejected

If the drive or tape is faulty there might be event log entries that could help

There are potentially more scenarios or things to check but we are going to need more info than that curently supplied.

I have update the tape drive to latest version of firmware. I have just attched to new server with no Backup Exec software on server and I get same problem.

also I have brand new tapes which I have use and we get same problem.

They was no changes made to the policy or to the tape drive. I do have LZT log file if that helps

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
@lalajee wrote:

I have update the tape drive to latest version of firmware. I have just attched to new server with no Backup Exec software on server and I get same problem.

If tapes are being ejected from a standalone tape drive without Backup Exec even being installed on the server, then it is hard to blame Backup Exec.  I would suggest you run HPE Library and Tape Tools diagnsotic program and/or contact HPE or your hardware vendor.  I suspect you have a hardware issue or a media compatibility issue.