cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec agent browser?

rpcblast
Level 4

I am curious as to what functionality the this actually provides.  It appears that even when its port 6101 is blocked, selecting and running backups still work,  I found a brief explination on a security warning page from checkpoint, stating it is "responsible for discovering available agents". 

Would this be used if the remote agent did not have the media server definition, and the server had to discover which agents were installed when manually adding a server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The main purpose of Backup Exec Agent Browser service to capture the resources that are publishe by the Remote agent on the remote/local server.

Yes the backups will be successful even when the Agent Browser service is stopped or its port is blocked.

But when this services is stopped or port is blocked, you will not be able to see the Remote server resources under the Favourite Resource tab in the selection list.

Remote Agent will pulish all the resources from the remote server but Agent browser will be responsible to show it under Favourites in the selection.

Publishing will be required for many applications like Lotus, Sharepoint, Enterprise Vault... and this information is captured by the Agent browser service.

Hope I have provided clear information about the service.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6

The main purpose of Backup Exec Agent Browser service to capture the resources that are publishe by the Remote agent on the remote/local server.

Yes the backups will be successful even when the Agent Browser service is stopped or its port is blocked.

But when this services is stopped or port is blocked, you will not be able to see the Remote server resources under the Favourite Resource tab in the selection list.

Remote Agent will pulish all the resources from the remote server but Agent browser will be responsible to show it under Favourites in the selection.

Publishing will be required for many applications like Lotus, Sharepoint, Enterprise Vault... and this information is captured by the Agent browser service.

Hope I have provided clear information about the service.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Colin_Weaver

Agree with Sush (good explanation) - just one comment, there might be the odd advanced agent/option that does not work very well if publishing is not working because as well as favouirte resoruces being populated this facilty also updates (in the background) the resource types on each server so with the odd exception it is usually a good idea to leave Agent Browser and Agent Publishing operating