cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec mistaken lists services as stopped

rpcblast
Level 4

This is just a small annoyance but wondered if anyone had any quick answers. I am running BE 2010 R3(upgraded from 2010), and the indicator at the bottom of the BE window has always mistakenly listed the services as stopped, even though they are all running.  The OS is Server 2008 R2, and it is running under the renamed built in domain admin account.  When I click on backup exec services in the menu, it also says the services are stopped, when they are in reality running.  Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure you have the correct media server name in services window. It should not be you are checking the status of the services for another media server . The indicator at the bottom about the services states stopped even if there is one service of BE which is stopped .

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It seems that all the Backup Exec services are running but the BE Desktop and Laptop Option (DLO) services are stopped due to which it shows that the services are stopped.

Go to services.msc in Start>>Run and the check the Backup Exec services status there.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...how can you assume that DLO is installed, let alone the services not running...???

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi rpcblast,

Stop all your services using either services.msc or BEutility. Once done, open up Task Manager and make sure that NO BE services are still running. I have seen that sometimes a process is left open, or is busy stopping but never cancelled in Windows Task Manager.

Once done, try restarting them.

If that doesn't work, run the BEDBN check using BEutility.exe.

Lastly...were there any errors during the upgrade?

THanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to comment on the DLO update

if you install DLO and  decide not to use it but instead of uninstalling it you disable services, you will get the exact same condition you decribed because Backup Exec is aware that DLO is enabled and therefore the servcies  monitoring includes those services. It is likely other BackuP Exec servcies (CPS for instance) would cause thesame problem if you disabled them. - SImilarly if Backup Exec thinks they are installed but they no longer are you might see the same thing (which might need a support case to work out where it is getting the incorrect information from.)

I do agree howeever that the OP does not mention that DLO is installed so how can that assumption be made.

rpcblast
Level 4

the dlo services are running.  The only service not running is "backup exec management" which is set to manual instead of automatic. 

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Just start that service and it should show correctly. As I mentioned earlier even if one of the service is stopped the indicator would show the services are stopped

rpcblast
Level 4

on another system, that service is also not running, yet I do not have the false negative ont he services.  I will see if any remnants of another option such as DLO or archiving were installed.