Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec sharepoint sql exchange agent greyed out for deselection

DSTEVIC
Level 3
Partner

Hi Folks,

well funny thing just find out when installing BE 2010R3:

When installing the license for server and 5 Remoteagents automaticly comes the 60-day trial for the agents: sql, exchange and sharepoint and can not be deselected. The best thing is: this behavor is new and can not be unselected for nit testeing. Okay, so i need help to get rid of these 3 agents that are not needed. In the KB i didn´t find anything.

How has the same issue and has a Solution?

Tnx in advance

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you are still testing the software, run a repair installation and remove the agents like that.

DSTEVIC
Level 3
Partner

i´m not testing and i do not want to test it.

There is no way (that i see) for unchecking the 3 agents.

The customer has only BE Mediaserver and "standard" remoteagents (no sql, sharepoint or exchange).

My test showed the follwing facts for R3 of BE2010 (R2 not tested):

while installing and only entering the serial for BE Server the 3 option for 60 days testing are automaticly

added and can`t be deselected. Every day an entry in the logfile is generated that licenses are trial and xx day left for testing.

This is my problem.

CraigV

...Weird. It shouldn't be that way at all. Those agents are selected via tick-boxes...then run the repair agent and see if you are able to deselect the trial agents that wau.

DSTEVIC
Level 3
Partner

and does not behave better. no way of unmarking it.

Absolutly weird.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The 60-days trial for some options will always be there.  Just make sure that you do not select the options at the options screen.

The remote agent has all the capabilities of the various options, like the Exchange agent, etc.  You cannot get rid of these capabilities.  As long as you don't select the option, that capability is not activated.  That is as much as you can do to "get rid of it".

DSTEVIC
Level 3
Partner

That is just my Problem: when you enter only the serial for the local BE Mediaserver, automaticly

the 3 agents are selected for testing and they are greyed out and marked as selected.

There is no way to unmark them.

Does nobody have the same problem? There are still customer who don`t have exchange, sql-server

and don`t need these agents. Only BE Server and some "normal" remotes.

CraigV

It doesn't do this by default. It was either selected for testing, or there is something wrong with the installation.

Did you get this on the new installation?

DSTEVIC
Level 3
Partner

next Monday i will take a BE2010R3 on a brandnew VM and test the same thing: just adding a License for BE-Server to verify if the 3 described agents

add themselves for testing or a Problem with the SQL-Express installation happend.

Will keep you informed

CraigV

As long as it just for testing, that's fine. There are some specific issues and requirements needed if you intend running BE on a VM in a production environment!

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Just want to add here that once an agent/option is installed in Evaluation mode (for 60 day) it cannot be uninstalled. Though the trial period will not start until the first backup using the agent/option is performed.

Refer to following technote for details:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62718

Let us know the result when you install BE with only base license on the test VM. If possible take screenshot when installing BE ... just the license screen and the screen where it shows what all agents/options will be installed and post it in your next reply.