cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup-to-disk rotation

Arkiados
Level 2

Hello,
I am working with Backup Exec 2010 and backup-to-disk folders. I have created a policy for G-F-S backups. Does anyone have suggestions on how to control rotation of "media"?

This link helped a bit: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-disk-best-practices

My goal is to overwrite daily backups, retain five weekly, and retain twenty-four monthly backups. Afterwards the media should be overwritten. In other words, I would like to have one "media" per day of the week, four to five weekly media per month, and twenty-four to cover a two year period.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need to set up 3 media sets.  one each for your daily, weekly and monthly jobs.  For each of your media sets, set the Overwrite Protection Period appropriately.  For example, for your monthly media set set the OPP to 4 weeks.

Arkiados
Level 2

Thanks for the reply. That's what I have done.

On the B2D device, I changed the number of backup sets from 100 to 1. Now when I run a backup it creates three seperate media. B2D00003, 4, and 5. I do have three selections for this backup. Is it creating a file for each one? How do I get it to use one media file per backup job, given that the job does not exceed the maximum .BKF file size.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In BackupExec speak, a "backup set" is one share, one database, one system state, etc

So if you have max sets = 1, and backup more than set, Backup Exec will start a new BKF file for each set.  (and waste disk on each set as well)

Arkiados
Level 2

That makes sense. Is there a way to assign a backup to a particular media?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

For tape jobs, the only way would be to partition the loader/library, and point your jobs to one partition

I'm not sure how your question applies to Disk Jobs?  if you make a job Append, and there is a  BKF file that is in the same media set and still within the APP, then BackupExec should append to that BKF file  (again assuming that MAXFILES is set high enough)