cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup won't go past first tape

dima_0015
Level 2
Hello,

We have a DELL PV122T with one drive and 8 tape slots. I've imported and loaded 8 blank LTO tapes into the unit, labelled all the tape media, performed a complete inventory, and quick-erased all the tapes as well. After all this, all tapes were moved to a media set that has a 1 week overwrite protection period and an infinite append period. In other words, the media is overwrite protected until a week from now. I don't have any partitions configured.

The media overwrite protection level is set to Full. The overwrite option is set to overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the set. The backup jobs are set to append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

What I want to do is run a number of backup jobs that will start with the first tape, fill it to capacity, and then continue writing (appending) to tape 2, 3, etc. as needed.

What actually happens is this: the first job start with the first tape, fills it up, and then halts with this alert:

Library Insert: Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

I don't understand why it's asking for overwritable media when the jobs are not set to overwrite anything, just append to blank media. All the tapes are in the unit, having been inventoried, labelled and erased. What exactly is the problem, and how can I fix it to do exactly what I want?

Thanks in advance,

--
dima
2 REPLIES 2

dima_0015
Level 2
*bump*

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

When you select the option "Append to media; overwrite if no appendable media is available" or "Append to media; terminate if no appendable media is available" in the backup job, Backup Exec will look for appendable media first and it will append the data to the eligible media. If the same backup job spans to another media, Backup Exec will always overwrite the next available media (it will not perform the append operation in case of spanning). If it does not find any overwritable media, a prompt "Please insert overwritable media" will be generated.

Regards,