cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

be2012 - no appendable media could be mounted - tape is infinite append

djr357
Level 4

I have a B2D job run with a D2T job afterwards. The D2T job is set to Append and terminate if no appendable. I checked the tape and the appendable period is set to Infinte - allow append. The database it is backing up on disk is 300gig. The tape is saying it has 545 gigs left so an append would be possible both with the amount of space left and the tape setting on infinite append.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The SYmantec best practice when using B2D is never to append. You always overwrite. If you make this change your backups should go through.

Thanks!

EDIT: Refer to the guidelines section on the best practices TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH164267

djr357
Level 4

The B2D is NOT set as append. It is set at my DLM levels. The Duplicate to Tape is the one that is set at append since it is to a tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check whether your D2T job overlaps some other job writing to the tape, meaning it started when some other job is writing to the tape.  If it does, then this is possible.  When the tape is being written to, it is marked as not appendable.  When the D2T job starts, it will not be able to find an appendable tape.

djr357
Level 4

wouldnt it be queued like all the other times the job has run? The B2D job runs whenever which is correct. The D2T usually is ready to run while another job is taking place. This job goes on hold until the current B2T job is finished.

When i started this post, the original B2D job fired and then the D2T job right after is. These two jobs were the only jobs runnig at the time since it was the middle of the day.

I came in this morning and all the jobs last night ran fine with the append option set and to the same tape that i was talking about yesterday. 

Whatever. Ill mark it up as one more quirk with BE2012 right under the first massive quirk of jobs starting whenever they want to start. Yes, random start times. Even called symantec and they couldnt find a reason.... Ah well.

btw, how to close this without marking a Best Answer?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Media allocation is done when the job starts.  Any queuing for resources is done after this.