cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bengine application error

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Hi,

Using BE 10 on Windows Server 2003 enterprise with SP1. Every few days the BE engine stops and the event log shows event id 4097 with the following desription :

The application, D:\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/25/2005 @ 01:04:23.957 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C8327FB (ntdll!RtlInitializeCriticalSection)

or

The application, D:\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/12/2005 @ 23:13:53.190 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C8224B2 (ntdll!ExpInterlockedPopEntrySListFault)

or

The application, D:\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/11/2005 @ 01:49:22.388 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C35042B (MSVCR71!wcscpy)

We have SP1 of BE installed and hotfix 16 and 17. This is happening on 2 machines since we installed V10 (9.1 before that). As a consequence the rest of the backup jobs are not done and we have no valid backups of that day.
56 REPLIES 56

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
Another fix others in the forum have used is to leave the GUI running on the media server. I know this fixed the problem in at least two cases.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
What is the status of this problem. Both of our servers fail at least once a week. Service stops but no error messages.
Is Veritas finally going to do something about this. Thos problem exists for a few versions already. I have followed up on every suggestion that was given here with no success. If this product cannot be used reliably we will look for something else. Backups that fail this way are unacceptable in our organization. Posting problems here can work sometimes to get a solution but what does your developer department have to say about this problem? I have not seen one comment from that end.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We apologize for the delay in our response. Please let us know if the problem persists.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Yes, the problem is stille there. We would like a solution SOON as we cannot take reliable backups.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Are there any alerts in Backup Exec when the job engine stops. Does it stop during any specific jobs.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
There are no alerts. It stops randomely, not always the same day, hour or job.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As this issue occurs randomly , does this occurs at the particular backups?Does it gives an error during the scheduled backup job?Are you backing up databases like exchage or SQL?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
I have already mentioned previously that there are no errors. The event log only shows that the service stopped unexpectedly. It does not occur for any partiular jobs. We do backup exchange 5.5 databases

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

we suggest you to perform the reload from base.

Refer the following technote:
How to create a new SQL database in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 when the original database is corrupt and cannot be repaired
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014

Note: Since the SQL database is new, Backup Exec logon accounts will have to be recreated.

Please Note: All media sets, backup-to-disk folders, and other settings will have to be created or configured again.

Please update us on this issue.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
doing this does not solve the issue

Rachel_Chipman
Level 2
Has this issue been resolved? We just started getting this same error as well. Running Veritas 10.0 on a W2003 server. When I look this error up on the Veritas website it says to contact Technical Services for assistance with this error but the only way to talk to someone is to PAY. Document NO 276242.

Why are we told to contact Technical Services but required to PAY especially if this is a bug in the backup exec software? What is the resolution to this problem?

Aaron_Schiff
Level 2
I am also having exactly the same issue on a fresh install of Backup Exec 10.0, on Windows Small Business Server 2003.

I have paid the money for tech support and was informed that if the problem turns out to be a Vertas software problem (which I'm sure it is) then it will be refunded. Now I'm still waiting on a call-back from an engineer (after 5 hours ... ). Will post to this thread if I find anything useful.

It is ridiculous that Veritas hasn't fixed this problem by now. I have only achieved one successful backup in a week!

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
5 hours is nothing. I'm waiting sinds may 25 th for a solution. This is clearly a bug in the software, a programming error but all they made me do is change some settings, change the catalog directory and start with a fresh database. Not one comment from a Veritas developper about this problem.

Aaron_Schiff
Level 2
I was finally able to speak to a tech. He advised me to update Backup Exec to the latest build, and update the tape drivers. I presume you have done this already. It will be several days before I know if this has solved the problem, as it crashes intermittently.

The latest build can be downloaded from:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277181.htm

And the latest tape drivers from:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278408.htm

I was told to install the latest build, restart the server, then install the latest drivers, then restart again.

It is a very strange problem. When I initially installed Backup Exec it ran fine for about 2 weeks. Then it started crashing for about 80% of backups. So I uninstalled it completely and started fresh. It worked for 2 backups and then started crashing again.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
That will not solve it. I'm having the problem since the first build of version 10 (5484) (uninstalled 9.1 first) on a Proliant with Win 2003 Enterprise SP1 and all updates. Installed every BE hotfix, same problem . Upgraded to build 10 5520, same problem. Installed SP4 of the MSDE, same problem. Upgraded to build 5520 SP1, same problem. Always using the latest driver versions.

Aaron_Schiff
Level 2
You're right, it crashed on the first backup after installing these updates.

I noticed it backed up all the files fine, but crashed when it was backing up Exchange towards the end of the backups. Looking at the times of the previous crashes, I think they were also during the Exchange part of the backup.

I shall persue with tech support, though it looks like I'm going to have to find an alternative backup system.

Aaron_Schiff
Level 2
As was suggested by someone else in the forums I've disabled password protection on the backup and I've had 4 consecutive successful backups so far. It might be too early to tell if the problem is gone, but I never had this many successful backups before.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Upgraded to version 10.1 or 10.d or whatever it is called, still the same problem.

Janice_Fielder
Level 3
It's not Exchange - we run Notes Domino here no Exchange and we have the problem. I only get hit with it about once a week. I started having this when I installed 10 and I do have password protection so I am going to take that off and see what happens.

Janice

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
When is this problem finally going to be solved!!!!!!