cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bkup to disk folder error on remote workstation.

Rich_Trivedi
Level 2
I have SBS Windows 2003 thats running Backup exec 10d. I want to create a backup to disk folder that is located on the same network, but on a remote workstation.

When creating a NEW backup to disk folder, if i use the //192.168.x.x/backup$ notation, i get "The path contains the invalid characters . " Referring to the periods. If I use the //UNC/backup$ notation, I get access is denied. If I MAP the network drive and use the network drive letter when creating a new backup to disk folder I still get that same error message.

This leads me to believe that SBS versions of 10d are NOT capable of sending a backup to a remote workstation?

Thanks for your time and response.
Rich
4 REPLIES 4

Rich_Trivedi
Level 2
Also, I would like to add, YES the sharing and securities tab for the network folder has EVERYONE full access to that shared folder.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you log on as the BackupExec Service Account, can you map the Backup$ share in windows exploder?

Rich_Trivedi
Level 2
Do you mean the user that is "runing" the Backup Exec services?
Yes, in fact the user associated with the backup exec services have full administrative rights.

As a test, I logged on as the user and mapped drives.

I can CONNECT to the network share in windows (mapped drive, using the run command with \\192.168.x.x\backup$ etc etc) but IN veritas it refuses to connect.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

-Is it out of space on the disk containing the backup folder?
-is the folder on a disk that spans drives like a raid set?
-is it on a fat32 file system?
- this could occur if the mapped drive gets disconnected, or the remote pc is shutdown, or if the disk itself goes offline.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Deepali Badave