cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't install hotfix 301030

Gary_Karasik
Level 5
Hi,

Yesterday when I ran Live Update on my 9 different BEWS 12 installs (9 different clilents), I was told that I needed Hotfix 301030. When Live Update tried to install this hotfix, it failed to install. I downloaded the hotfix and tried to install it stand-alone. It failed with

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Error 1328.Error applying patch to file C:\CONFIG.MSI\PT4D9.tmp [NOTE: This filename changes with each succeeding attempt]. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor.
Abort      Retry      Ignore

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Clicking Retry repeats the error message. Clicking Abort initiates a roll-back. Clicking Ignore allows the hotfix to continue installing, but it doesn't successfully install because the next time I run Live Update I'm again told I need to apply the hotfix.

GaryK

29 REPLIES 29

Mike_Oakley
Level 3
I have exactly the same symptoms, both for LiveUpdate and separately downloaded installs.  Mike

Gary_Karasik
Level 5
I've got a case setup w/escalated tech support. I'm betting it's a bad update. I'll post back when I get a resolution.

GaryK

SS_2
Level 3
I too have a case setup w/escalated tech support. I am supposed to get a call around 0900 CST. I'll post once they have called.

Gary_Karasik
Level 5
That's great. If there's enough squealing, they'll figure out there's a pig.

GaryK

SS_2
Level 3
I heard back from Symantec and here is what they want me to try. I can't until 1930 or later tonight, so I don't know if it works but thought I would update you.

- Close BE
- Open Add/Remove Programs
- Choose Symantec Backup Exec, click change
- Follow prompts, choose repair, let it finish
- Reboot.
- After reboot, try Liveupdate again

PhotoTrance
Level 2
SS,
I just tried this, and still the same issue. Their workaround didn't help.

Tech_XL
Level 2
I've got this problem as well.
I also suspect it's a bad hotfix after a bit of research.

Chris.

Doug_Laskosky
Level 4
Partner
Tried installing hotfix manually. When prompted at error, I selected ignore. The patch seems to have been installed it shows in Add/Remove programs when display updates checkbox is selected. However, after a reboot the hotfix still attempts to install via liveupdate causing an error event.

RogerNDI
Not applicable
Partner Accredited
Same here..

Rikun
Level 2
Got the same problem here.

NGPIT
Not applicable
I worked with Symantec on this issue and I might have the fix.  I had Hot Fix 300287, 300290 and 300699 installed.  We removed 300699 via add/remove programs and then ran the LiveUpdate and 301030 installed successfully.  301030 requries a reboot, but I am not going to be able to reboot for a while.  The hot fix is not being displayed in the Installed updates window or add/remove programs.

My tech had a server that only had 300287 installed.  He also had a problem with 301030.  He removed 300287 instead of 300699.  LiveUpdate stated the install was successful and their is an alert saying 301030 was installed successfully.  After the install and reboot it does not display the Hot Fix in the Installed Updates window.  It also does not display the Hot Fix in add/remove programs.  Running LiveUpdate again says that things are up-to-date.

Gary_Karasik
Level 5
Advanced support sent me an email suggesting that a full uninstall/reinstall would fix the problem.

1) I don't believe it will
2) I have 9 unrelated servers exhibiting the same symptoms, and I'm not wanting to uninstall/reinstall 9 times.

GaryK

Rikun
Level 2
If anyone tries NGPIT's solution, please post your results.  I tried it but got an error when trying to uninstall the hotfix.  It was something like "Error 1325: Live Update is not a valid short file name."  Anyone know how to fix that?  Maybe I have to try running the Repair option?  Thanks.

Gary_Karasik
Level 5
I installed the HF manually too by telling it to ignore the error. It completed but does NOT show up in Add/Remove. The advanced support tech said that he'd heard that a complete uninstall/reinstall would solve the problem, which 1) I don't believe; and 2) I don't want to have to do 9 times on the 9 unrelated servers I have that all have the same symptoms.

GaryK

PhotoTrance
Level 2
I just tried NGPIT's solution and nothing, same problem.

Gary_Karasik
Level 5
Also just tried removing the already installed hotfixes. Trying to remove 300290 gives the same error as does trying to install 301030. I told it to ignore the 300290 error and continued the removal, then rebooted. Hotfix 301030 still fails to install. Interestingly, with the previous hotfixes uninstalled, Live Update doesn't show that those previously installed hotfixes need to be reinstalled. If they've been uninstalled, shouldn't they need to be reinstalled?

GaryK

Rick_Lawsha
Level 3
Add me to the list - won't install here either....

Joseph_G_Smith_
Level 2
I've run into the same problem with HOTFIX 301030.

Running on a Windows 2003 R2 server.

I've tried several of the recommendations listed here with no success.

Let's hope Symantec comes up with a solution soon.

Message Edited by Joseph G Smith Jr on 04-17-2008 11:01 AM

RossG
Level 4
Partner
I have the same problem with all of my 12.0 sites...   I am wondering wht is the official position of Syamntec is on this?  I heard install and unoinstall is an optiom but this will be so time consuming so I am wondering if anyone has successfuly passed installing this HOTFIX

RG