cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot add service account to server being recovered

Jamie_Darienzo
Level 3
My problem was identified while testing the IDR process. I’m creating bootable cds using the IDR Wizard which seems to work just fine (my backup server is running Windows 2003 Standard\ Backup Exec Version 9.0 REV 44.54). I have tested a recovery with 2000 and 2003 servers which produce the same results:

1) Veritas magenta-colored Backup Exec IDR Bootstrap screen appears. I press enter to begin the disaster recovery process.

2) The Windows and IDR files are copied to the server being recovered. Once the files are copied the server reboots.

3) If I leave the cd in after the reboot I get the magenta-colored Bootstrap screen again so I take the cd out and wait for setup to prompt for it. (I haven’t been able to reference anything in the knowledge base indicating that this in normal behavior)

4) Once the cd is back in Windows Setup briefly goes through the GUI-mode of server setup.

5) Then a “Welcome to DR Wizard” is displayed. Click Next

6) “Choose the level of Wizard Assistance” (I select the automated radial button)

7) “Select Recovery File” (choose appropriate DR file)

8) “Modify Hard Disk Layout” Click Next (keep defaults)

9) “Select Restore Method” Install networking and restore from a remote media server – radial is selected

10) “Connect to Media Server”

From which media server do you want to perform a restore?

Server Name:

Domain:

User Name:

Password:

Enter the Backup Exec service account and passwords to connect to the media server where the media device is attached.

(regardless of what account credentials I enter, I receive: ! Unable to add service account to local administrators group.)

If I continue a temporary IDR User is Created on day,date,year BOU-SMS\bou-administrator_IDR is created on the Backup Server. (BOU-SMS is the server being recovered; bou-administrator is my Backup Exec service account. It is appended with _IDR, but that’s not part of the service acct name under normal circumstances).

The Robotic Library will show activity as it feeds the necessary tape into the drive, but then the Job fails immediately with the following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Note: the backup server was renamed ten months back, our domain objects were migrated into another domain at that time as well. I don’t think this has anything to do with it, but just in case

Thank you,

Jamie
3 REPLIES 3

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Did you prepare the idr media before the change of name and domain or after?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jamie_Darienzo
Level 3
Thanks for the response. I server\domain changes happened before I created the idr media.

Thanks,
Jamie

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems the IDR restore is giving problems due to the error 'unable to attach'. Refer to the follwoing technotes in order to resolve the issue:

Title: When using the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.0 for Windows Servers Intelligent Disaster Recovery option to recover a remote Windows computer, the restore job fails immediately with the error "Unable to attach to one of the drives."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/263176

Title: How to change the port that Network Data Management Protocol uses in Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255498

Hope this helps you in the successful restore. In case of further problems, do write back to the forum.

However if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.