cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

catalogs folder is growing

nath1967
Level 2

My catalogs folder is getting to big and getting error on disk space. I went to tool, option, catalog and select truncate catalogs after 12 month. Did not seem to do anything. Can I remove those file with some utility tool? And if I do so, will I be able to do a restore if necessary?

Using backup exec 12 sp1 on windows server 2003 standard.

5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Once you've changed the setting, have you waited for the maintenance task to run (overnight by default)?

nath1967
Level 2
Yes it's set to do it everyday @ 4am

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

And if I do so, will I be able to do a restore if necessary? 

If the truncate does start working, you will need to inventory and then catalog a tape before you can restore from it

As for the setting having no effect, how old are you oldest catalogs?

nath1967
Level 2

Thanks for your help. Got an answer for this issue from symantec. I have to stop the services, copy the catalogs folder to another drive and then restarted the service with an empty catalogs folder. If I need to do a restore in the option search catalog I will give the new path to the old catalogs folder. I will not use the truncate option for now.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

@nath1967 wrote:

If I need to do a restore in the option search catalog I will give the new path to the old catalogs folder.

Did Symantec tell you how to do this? I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that the old catalogs can be searched for a restore?