cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

catridge not detected until bkupexec services restarted

Michael68
Level 4
Hello.

I have BKUPEXEC 12.0  Rev. 1364 running on W 2003 Server Standard 64-bit with an external SAS connected quantum LTO - 3 HH.

Bkupexec does not reliable detect when the cartridge is inserted or ejected . If I restart the bkupexec services the cartridge is detected.
NTBackup sees the cartridge when the bkupexec services are not running.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Michael

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

It normally doesn't until you run an inventory. It does the same thing with an autoloader, and it does this with ARCserve too.
My suggestion would be to set up an inventory job, and then schedule it to run manually, or on a specific time. I do this at 5PM every Monday before my backups start on all my sites. I don't know how often you change that cartridge? But that will definitely work.
Try it, and let me know how it goes.

Michael68
Level 4
I will try a daily inventory job before the backup job runs, but do you really think this is need? I have only a stand alone drive, no autloader.

Michael

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
For standalone drive I would recommend that you must run the inventory job for enabling BE to have the latest tape information instead of blaming on the capabilities.

On the other hand if you have TL / autoloader then you can defien the partitions of the available slots.

Hope this clarifies

MitchR
Level 6
Many libraries don't behave when you pull or add tapes by hand.  If you are, try using the library's Import & Export commands.  (From BE, Devices tab, expand the library, select a slot & right-click on the slot.)

Michael68
Level 4
Hi.

Even when I run a daily inventory the tape is not detected.
Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...run a Scan? Are you using labels?

Michael68
Level 4
Hi.

Can you please explain? What scan? I don't use labels.

Thanks,
Michael

MitchR
Level 6
Most tape libraries have a bar code reader, used to read a special bar code on the tape's label. (i.e. a paper sticker on the same end as the red write-protect switch).

The idea is that the library can read the bardcode and know the tape's ID without having to mount & read it.  Makes things a lot faster, and saves on tape & drive wear.

When you "inventory" a library, the library with mount, read, and identify each tape.  With a "scan", the library will try to read the barcode of each tape.  If you have the labels setup right, you get the same result - only a whole lot faster.

Your original message seems to indicate that you don't have a library, but rather a single drive.  If that's the case, something else is going on.  Backup Exec typically wants to be in control of tapes - when a job starts to run, it will ask you for a tape.. sometimes even a specific one.  Just inserting a tape sometimes isn't good enough, becasue BE wants something else.

Also keep in mind that I've seen cases where a brand-new-never-used tape will cause problems until you at least do a "quick erase" of that tape.  Rare, but may be helpful.

Michael68
Level 4
Hi.

Ok now I understand the difference between scan and inventory. I don't think there a labels on the LTO3 catridges.

The problem is if I click on the device (quantum LTO3 HH) the inserted cartridge is not detected and not shown in the device view. That you may need a special tape for a job I know, but at the device view I should see all catrdidges.

The catriges are all used before so the brand-new-catridges can not be the problem.

Thanks,
Michael