cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change tape drive ?

Emort
Level 3

Hello,

I need to change our tape drive to a HP StorageWorks 1 / 8 G2 Tape Autoloader (includes tape drive).

is there anything I should be aware of when I switch and can anyone outline a brief walkthrough?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Emort,

...on top of this, I'd suggest getting hold of the latest Symantec drivers for your version of BE. Install them.

Once done, and the autoloader is detected in Windows, open up Backup Exec and then run the device configuration wizard. This will allow you to install the drivers within Windows for the unit.

You can also select the option to delete non-existant hardware, which I'd suggest.

Go to Devices, and check if the old device is showing up...if it still does, manually uninstall it.

Then make the change in your jobs to point to the new device.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Most important thing to check is the compatibility of the hardware with the version of Backup Exec

that is installed. Once the hardware is replaced make sure its detected by the OS.

CraigV

Hi Emort,

...on top of this, I'd suggest getting hold of the latest Symantec drivers for your version of BE. Install them.

Once done, and the autoloader is detected in Windows, open up Backup Exec and then run the device configuration wizard. This will allow you to install the drivers within Windows for the unit.

You can also select the option to delete non-existant hardware, which I'd suggest.

Go to Devices, and check if the old device is showing up...if it still does, manually uninstall it.

Then make the change in your jobs to point to the new device.

Thanks!

Emort
Level 3

Good advice!
one q:

Where do i find  latest Symantec drivers ?

and ill let you know how it goes 

CraigV

...you can find them here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=15047&channel=TECHNICAL_SOLUTION&bas...

...just filter for your version of BE (which you don't state)...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is the version of Backup Exec you are using ?

Emort
Level 3

2010 r2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Latest Device drivers installer for R2 and R3 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158750

Emort
Level 3

thanks for all your help it worked smoothely!

only thing is that i now seem to have a performance  issue when I backup to  the new tapes 

but will create a new post on this