cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compression is not working

Mwageeh
Level 3
Dear All

I have a Server Dell 2800 with internal Backup device IBM Ultrium 3 (Tape 400G) , and Usb Hp Dat 320 Tape Drive ( Tape 320G)
        my problem is , 
        i need to backup Data total Capacity Size 280 G through the network From another Server With (symantec backup exec agent ) 
        i tried to backup them to the ibm on tape but i faced that he stopped on 180G with 2 alerts 
1- Please remove the media from the drive.
2- Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection       setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
    Respond No to retry the operation.
    Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.
this when i'm try to backup with the IBM tape drive 
also the same 2 alerts with the HP but at 160G i found a pdf file (Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers
Hardware Compatibility Lists) i found the hp on it (Capacity and compression reporting is not currently supported for this device)
is it mean that my hp device is not supported with Symantec Backup exec for compression 

please if you can help me 
i need to backup my data with symantec Backup Exec with the 2 tape device with compression  and without any error or alerts 

Thanks 
9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the tape can be overwritten, check that your job property specify Overwrite, rather than Append.  If your job appends to the tape, then it will only use whatever capacity that is remaining on the tape and not the full capacity of the tape.

Mwageeh
Level 3
Thanks PKH for you replay

i always do this option's like the print screen 

check it please and please replay me
is it true or wrong

thanks  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Look at the highlighted box in your screenshot.  You have specified that you do not allow the tape to be overwritten forever.  You should change this to an appropriate period so that the tape can be overwritten, i.e. re-used.

Mwageeh
Level 3
thanks , i have created anew media set as (Test)
 as the print screen , and i will test it today

but the tape already Empty i already erased it before
and dose this option will allow the compression to work with my data to backup the my all data
280G to tape without any error's

thanks  

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your new media set, Test, has an infinite Overwrite Proteciton Period, i.e., any tape associated with it cannot be overwritten forever.  This is the same setting as your previous media set.   You must set the OPP to some period of time, like 5 days, 5 weeks, etc. so that the tapes can be overwritten after this period.

I just had a closer look at your previous screenshot.  You have used the Keep Data Indefinitely media set.  Once a media is associate with this media set, it cannot be overwritten.  Under the Media tab, click on this media set and associate all tapes in this media set to the scatch media set.  Otherwise, they cannot be overwritten.

Mwageeh
Level 3
i did as the printscreen 
but how can i set the media set that i created (test) to be like scatch media set
to be none - allow overwrite 
          none - Don't allow append

and what the Appropriate choice in the media set that allow the compression issue
and did it will solve the compression Issue 

thanks 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Compression is a different issue from data retention which is setting the Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) and Append Period (AP).  You should tackle this seperately after you have settled the data retention issue.

Before you start setting OPP and AP, you should come up with a data retention policy, i.e. how long you want to keep your data, etc.   You should then read the Admin Guide which is available in the BE installation directory to familiarise yourself with the concept of media sets, OPP and AP.

Mwageeh
Level 3
thanks for your replay 
this is a full daily backup , i did as you told me i created anew media set 
with 1 week Overwrite Protection Period and with 1 week the Append Period 
and yesterday i tried  the backup i faced the same 2 alerts @ 250G

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Check your job properties to ensure that it is either enabling hardware or software compression

2) If you have enable hardware compression, check that your drive is properly enabled.

After this, if you do get the prompt, insert an overwriteable tape and let the job complete.  Then click on the tape used and check the amount of data written to the tape.