cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

concurrent backup exec versions running?

kennyb
Level 5

Hi Everyone,

we have BE 11d installed locally, but we also have the media for Veritas BE 9 that I think was the original purchase which was eventually upgraded to 11d.

What we want to do is have 11d run as usual in the home office and install BE 9 in our remote location instead of buying another copy or a different product.

I couldn't find an EULA for 9, but 11d said no concurrent installs :(

since they are technically different versions, can this be allowed?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

@PKH- He has mentioned that he has upgraded from BE 9.0 to BE 11d. This means that he has the got the License keys for BE9.0 and Be 11d. So yes he can use both the versions simultaneously as its not the "same license". License keys can not be same for both the version.

So if he has the license keys for two different versions for two different versions then he can use it simultaneously in different location even if it is an upgrade.

Only thing is that he will not get support for v9.0 as that is End of Life.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

since they are technically different versions, can this be allowed?

If the v11 install is indeed an upgrade (special lower pricing), then no you cannot use your v9 serial on another machine

If instead v11 was just an straight purchase, then yes, you can run  both v9 and v11

Be aware that v9.1 (a free and vastly more stable upgrade from v9.0) went end of support life  2008-10-08

So if you ever have any problems with it you are on your own  (v9.1SP5 was one of the most stable builds that Veritas ever produced tho)

Sush---
Level 6

If you have the License keys for both the versions v9.0 and v11d then you can use these products in your environment. Both the products can not be installed on same server. Same applies to their Remote Agents also.

And as Ken indicated, v9.0 went out of Support in 2008.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@Sush - He is asking if he can install each version in a different location even though 1 version is the upgrade of another.  That means simultaneous use of essentially the same licence.  Is this legal?  I think Ken has provided the correct answer.

Sush---
Level 6

@PKH- He has mentioned that he has upgraded from BE 9.0 to BE 11d. This means that he has the got the License keys for BE9.0 and Be 11d. So yes he can use both the versions simultaneously as its not the "same license". License keys can not be same for both the version.

So if he has the license keys for two different versions for two different versions then he can use it simultaneously in different location even if it is an upgrade.

Only thing is that he will not get support for v9.0 as that is End of Life.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So you are saying that I buy 1 copy of BE, pay a nomimal sum for either annual support or upgrade fee and then I end up with 2 legal copies of BE when I upgrade to a newer version?  I have upgraded from BE 9 to BE 2010.  This means that I am legally entitled to use about 6 copies of BE? 

Sush---
Level 6

You will be legally supported for only the current version and that too if you have a valid current Maintenance contract.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So if I don't care about support, I can legally use the older versions that have simultaneously in my organisation and I would not get into trouble when the lawyers come a-calling.  Is there a document that I can refer to when the lawyers do come?

Colin_Weaver

PKH and Ken are correct:

If you buy an upgrade version of 11D (with a special price) then this will mean that you cannot continue to use the 9.x keycode on another server as you paid a special price for an "Upgrade" (This is from a legal point of view)

If however they paid a full price not an upgrade price for 11D then yes they can legally use both versions on different servers.

As such it does depend on what they bought as to what they can legally do.

Technically 9.x and 11D cannot be installed on the same systems at the same time - however if you are intending using them on different systems then there is no technical reason why not.

kennyb
Level 5

thanks everyone,

11d will be used in-house at our home office and 9 will be used at our data center where our SharePoint servers are hosted.

I will contact our vendor about how it was purchased.

It doesn't matter that 9 is no longer supported, we are just doing some simple tape backups.

Ken

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Please mark one of the responses as the solution to close this thread.  You can also give a "thumbs up" to any others that helped you.