cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - keeps changing tape from Scratch to Keep data for 4 weeks

Quick_erase_not
Level 3

I'm pretty new to Backup Exec but I'm trying to figure something out. I inventoried the tape drive device, and it showed me the tape that's in the device itself. I went ahead and associated it with a media set - scratch media.

However, when I go to set up a new backup... Under "Destination > Devices and Media Sets" there's no option for Scratch Media. It only shows an option for Keep Data for 4 weeks, and Keep Data Infinity - Do Not Allow Overwrite.. I have a feeling this is what's changing the tape's media set.

I'm basically just trying to back up to this tape with unlimited overwrites. How do I do that? This is a bit confusing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So what you're saying is I can't, by default, use scratch media for every back up job?

let's define some terms here

scratch tape - a tape not in a defined media set or one that has passed the OPP of the media set it belongs to

overwritable tape - a tape in a defined media set that has passed the OPP

From tools\options\media management you can select to either use overwriteable media in the target media set first, or scratch media first

I basically want a backup job that will just fill up a tape and overwrite the oldest data first. 

if you mean fill up a tape, and then go back and overwrite the beginning of the same tape, can't be done, since tape is sequential access.  When you write the beginning of a tape, whatever is in the tape becomes basically inaccessible to standard access.  A data recovery service MAY be able to get it off, for a price

If you have 5 tapes and want to use one every Monday, one every Tues, etc., set the OPP for the media set to 6 days an you should be good to go

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You cannot target a job at the scratch media set.  You must select either the default or one that you have created

If no tape is available in the specified medai set for append or overwrite (with the option specified below), than BackupExec will grab an overwriteable tape from another media set or the Scratch set.

If media exist in the scratch set (newly labeled or erased), let BackupExec  move them to the appropriate media set when the backup runs

Do you have other media sets that you have created?  or just the defaul1?

Decide how long you want to keep the data from each job, then create a media set the that as the OPP  (Overwrite Protection Period)

If you run Daily and Weekly jobs then create two media sets with differing OPPs

If youo plan to stack data (append one or more jobs the same tape volume) specify the same media set for each job, and remember that each time the tape is closed, the OPP is extended

For example: say you want to stack 4 dailies on the same tape and reuse that tape every 4th week.  Rather than use a 27 day OPP, use a 24 day OPP. also , make sure from tool\options\media manageme nt that the option to "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected

Quick_erase_not
Level 3

That option is set (Use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media)

So what you're saying is I can't, by default, use scratch media for every back up job? I basically want a backup job that will just fill up a tape and overwrite the oldest data first. 

So that means I have to create a new media set, and just make the OPP something like 1 day so it doesnt overwrite anything from the previous day?

Also, the OPP period protects the entire media from being overwritten, or that backup job? I'd like to make sure my data for every week day is being backed up. But on the following Monday, I'd like it to start a new backup on the same tape, but overwriting the last Monday

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So what you're saying is I can't, by default, use scratch media for every back up job?

let's define some terms here

scratch tape - a tape not in a defined media set or one that has passed the OPP of the media set it belongs to

overwritable tape - a tape in a defined media set that has passed the OPP

From tools\options\media management you can select to either use overwriteable media in the target media set first, or scratch media first

I basically want a backup job that will just fill up a tape and overwrite the oldest data first. 

if you mean fill up a tape, and then go back and overwrite the beginning of the same tape, can't be done, since tape is sequential access.  When you write the beginning of a tape, whatever is in the tape becomes basically inaccessible to standard access.  A data recovery service MAY be able to get it off, for a price

If you have 5 tapes and want to use one every Monday, one every Tues, etc., set the OPP for the media set to 6 days an you should be good to go

Quick_erase_not
Level 3

Gotcha,

You're right, we do have backup tapes for each day. That's exactly what I need to do. Thanks :)

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

You need to understand how media sets work. Spend 10 minutes reading chapter 4 of the Backup Exec Administrator's Guide, which explains it all. It takes a little while to get your head round, but it's all logical, and once you understand it, it makes things much more straightforward.

Have a look at http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/concepts/understanding-media-sets.html and http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/concepts/how-be-selects-media.html too.