cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy vhd from a tape backup NOT restore

bino85
Level 3

Hi all,

This seems like a pretty straightforward thing to do but I cant get it to work. All I want to do is copy a vhd from a backup tape. I dont want to restore the live vhd file. Just copy a vhd from tape to another location on the drive which I'll copy to a usb. 

I click restore, I select the tape in the drive, the vhd I want to restore, I set redirection to the path where I want the file to get copied and I specify source as our tape drive. When I run the job it will tell me the virtual machine is on and the job fails. I dont want to copy over our live vhd. Why is it telling me that i have to shuttoff the virtual machine when all I want to do is copy a vhd from tape to a different location on the drive? Arcserve makes this process very simple.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is because the vhd file is backed up by the Hyper-V agent and it is not a backup of an ordinary file.

bino85
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. So how do I go about copying the vhd from tape to disc? is it only possible by shutting down the VM?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try duplicating the backup set to disk and see whether you get the vhd in the .img folder.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Try redirected to a non-Hyper-V configured server as this might restore the VHD without trying to add it into Hyper-V (just an idea, not sure if it will work as I have not tried it)