cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do i need to stop the BE service to copy b2d files

Rupersm
Level 3
Hi,

i still have to copy some b2d files/folders to a different location via rsync.
Do i have to stop the BE services to do this?

right now I use a sheduled rsync, can this be done via a command that is run after the job is finished?
My problem here is that I also have one BE internaly clone job, but there is no option to send a command after the clone is finished.

greetings
6 REPLIES 6

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

Once the backup files have been copied to the new folder, Re-cycle the Backup Exec services.

Note:If the backup job is run without restarting the Backup Exec services, by default it will create new .bkf file and will not append to the existing .bkf files which are copied from the original folder because the Backup Exec Database has not yet updated with the modified information. Therefore, if the user wants to use the existing .bkf files (Media) then make sure the Backup Exec services are restarted.

Reference:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/239795

If this answered your question / solved your problem, please mark this post as the solution. Thank you very much!

Rupersm
Level 3
hello,

i am not copying to another B2D Folder, im transfering the data to a different location, os
that in case of a fire we still have our backups.
I would like to copy the data directly from the B2D Folder.
Right now sometimes stopping the services will kill a still running backup job.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I'd suggest running a duplicate job. This would run immediately after your initial job completed, and then copy that to another location (like another drive presented from storage/removable storage/tape etc.).
You would go into Job Setup, and under Backup, there is the option to Duplicate data after a job runs. Select that, and then select the first option and point it to your job.
This also assumes you're not copying to something like a shared folder on another server in another building? You didn't state that.
If you are, you should be able to run an application after the job completes by going into the job itself, and then into Pre/Post Commands. You could set up a batch file pointing to your utility to automatically copy your data to that other location.

Rupersm
Level 3
Hello,

i had some problems with duplicate jobs, I hope these problems are gone now.
In my BE12 I cant find the "Pre/Post Commands." in the settings of the job.
I do copy to another Building, first we stopped the services and than copied,
but this kills all the jobs that are still running.
The target server is a linux maschine, but i just had the idea of mount an NFS share and using that as the clonetarget.
I will try that right now.

Rupersm
Level 3
NFS wont work, because there are no 64bit Version of the "Windows Services for UNIX" :(

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
External disk? Are you able to duplicate to that?
In your job itself, under Job Setup, open it, and then if it's a policy, open the specific policy job. Look under Settings, and you will see Pre/Post Commands. You'll be interested in trying the Post Command to get your application to copy the *.bkfs across the way.