cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email notification doesn't work

SFPandora
Level 4
I didn't receive email notification from backup exec and I realized that the user password used for SMTP was the old one, so it was correct to not receive messages. Now I put the correct password but I still don't receive any email notication. Maybe the old mails are still in queue and stop the new ones? Is there a way to delete the queue from backup exec?
7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Which version of mail server are you using - In the past I noticed that if using Exchange 2003 SP1 (or later SP) that Authnenticated SMTP did not work - before SP1 the same Exchange server did work. Then I found that you could not use telnet to send an authenticated SMTP request either - so it appeared that MS chanegd something relating to Basic Authentication with the update.

The way I worked around it was to configure SMTP on the Exchnage server to allow anonymous SMTP access but then lock down the range of IP addresses that could access the SMTP server to the few internal servers I had that needed to send e-mails.

SFPandora
Level 4
I use small business server 2008 with exchange 2007. Backup sent email until I had to change the user. Since then it doesn't send email anymore...

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Was the earlier account same as Backup Exec service account? I would ensure that Backup Exec service account has permissions on SMTP.

Thanks

SFPandora
Level 4
Yes it was and the new account that i'm using now for smtp is also the same as Backup exec service and has the same permission as the other one.

Colin_Weaver
 You could try an SMTP telnet test from Media Server to Mail Server as per following article
NOTE: You will ned to Base4 encode your SMTP username and password to test this - the article suggests using perl, but google will probably locate loads of ways to do that

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995718(EXCHG.65).aspx

Also note the telnet built into windows does not seem to like backspacing to correct typing mistakes - so make a mistake and you often have to start again

If the telnet test fails then the issue may not be with Backup Exec

SFPandora
Level 4
no luck. The smtp server answered to me with: 502 unimplemented when  I used the command "auth login" . Maybe the smtp server doesn't support telnet authentication?

Colin_Weaver
I'd say you need to talk to an expert on your mail server and either make sure basic authentication is configured correctly so that the telnet test works and then try Backup Exec - or configure it for anonymous access (but make sure it is NOT an open relay on the internet)

WARNING: If you go open relay on the internet you could get blacklisted which would affect your company's ability to send and receive e-mails.