cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change name of computer w/o booting it

sujay70524
Level 4
I wanna change name of my computer
how to change name of computer W/O booting it?
suggest any way??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sujay70524
Level 4
So there is no way tht i can change name of my pc
whitout booting it
To change name of my computer i had to coot my PC & then at starting I hav to Change my name
Is it the Solution?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

chicojrman
Level 6
The reboot is forced by Windows when the computer name has changed so that its network services will refresh and get the new computer name.It is very easy however to search for and find the current computer name in the registry and manually edit it there. No reboot is required. Be warned, though. We can't guarantee what side-effects this might cause. We just know that it is possible.

MitchR
Level 6
The problem you're going to run into is that running services will be using the old server name.  You might get away with just renaming it and a delayed reboot, but I REALLY wouldn't recommend editing the registry to change the server name.  That's just asking for a whole lot of trouble in my opinion.

You're probably due for some patches anyway - take the outage. Rename the server the right way, and patch while you're at it.

Philip_D
Level 5
Indeed, this seems very risky and I wouldn't recommend it.  You'd probably end up causing problems and have to reboot the server anyway.

sujay70524
Level 4
So there is no way tht i can change name of my pc
whitout booting it
To change name of my computer i had to coot my PC & then at starting I hav to Change my name
Is it the Solution?