cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to check if there's an OST installed?

no_name1
Level 5
Certified

Hello,

Can anyone help me or guide me on how to check if I'm using an open storage technology (OST) or non-open storage technology? I've looked it in BE GUI and also googled it but don't know where to find it. Can somebody direct me in the right way? I know that this could be a stupid question but whoever could help is greatly much  appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

First of all, check the HCL for your version of BE so that you know whether the your device is supported as an OST device or a B2D device.

If you have the BE dedup option and want to use your appliance as a dedup store, then you must activate OST on the device and install the OST plug-in on either the media server or the remote server.

If you want to use the device as a B2D storage, then there is no need to activate OST or install the OST plug-in.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OST is a Symantec specification for dedup appliances.  Check with your vendor whether your dedup appliance is OST-compliant.  If it is, there is normally an OST plug-in which you need to install on either the media server or the remote server.  This plug-in will let BE know the presence of the OST-compliant dedup appliance.

no_name1
Level 5
Certified

Actually we just purchase an exagrid device and from there documentation, there's an option if we have to use OST or non-OST. Is it a requirement to install exagrid OST plug-ins?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

First of all, check the HCL for your version of BE so that you know whether the your device is supported as an OST device or a B2D device.

If you have the BE dedup option and want to use your appliance as a dedup store, then you must activate OST on the device and install the OST plug-in on either the media server or the remote server.

If you want to use the device as a B2D storage, then there is no need to activate OST or install the OST plug-in.

no_name1
Level 5
Certified

Thank you phk for your promt response. Yes it is. Current version is BE 2010 R2.

Assuming we want to use the exagrid device as B2D storage how do I setup the dedup option so I could able to backup the file back to tape? Currently we run the test backup for B2D and it was successful. How do we run B2T? Our current setup not to use dedup option in BE because exagrid device handles the dedup. How are we going to setup the B2T job on BE? Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

OST is the preferred method, and is faster than B2D over CIFS.  Reason being the OST protocol is optimized for backup traffic (e.g. large sequential blocks)