cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iSCSI Initiator dropped from network when running backup

jasonicom
Level 3

I googled this and find some people also have this issue.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/iscsi-targe...

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microsoft/Applicat...

Seems exactly same as my issue:

I have a windows 2008 R2 server and running hyper-v and connect to a iSCSI Initiator on that server.

When I run the backup from another win 2008 r2 (BE2012 and the latest version) backing up the files into the share folder  (the iSCSI Initiator drive).

At the beginning the speed seems fine (up to 2000MB/min), when each bkf file completed (for example, if the file is 4GB and reaches 4GB/8GB/12GB etc.) and writting into the disk, the speed will get slower and slower and finally it will fail. 

It seems the iSCSI Initiator disk dropped from the network, I can't access it from windows explorer, but after a  while the  iSCSI Initiator drive will be up again.

I don't know if there is solution for this issue, also don't know if this is a issue with Microsoft or Backup exec.

Thanks

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this would be the wrong place to ask that question. I am sure the MS forums have the answer there. Would be strange if Hyper-V and an iSCSI initiator have issues though...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Are there any errors reported in the event viewer on media server when this happens ?

CraigV

Hi,

Have you removed the iSCSI drive from within Windows and then re-added it? If this is a NAS, are there any errors reported on the NAS at the time of the backup failing?

THanks!

jasonicom
Level 3

It's an hyper-v linux machine (on win 2008r2) and using  iSCSI Initiator connects to it.

We can't see errors from either of them,

when it happens,seems can't connect to the iSCSI Initiator from network, but I can open the drive from local server. and BE think the drive is down and the job will fail, but after a while the drive will up again.

jasonicom
Level 3

It's 4 local hard drive with a RAID 5, and connects it to hyper-v and use iSCSI Initiator connects hyper-v.

This is a product we bought from a company and for Google cloud backup solution.

I can't see any errors, but when it's happens, the backup speed will drop down from 2000MB/min to 300-400MB/min and will fail later.

Thanks 

Jason

jasonicom
Level 3

I don't know if this is a common issue with hyper-v and iSCSI Initiator?

Seems people have this issue are all using hyper-v and iSCSI Initiator, if this is an common issue I guess I can swith to vmware.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Thanks

CraigV

...this would be the wrong place to ask that question. I am sure the MS forums have the answer there. Would be strange if Hyper-V and an iSCSI initiator have issues though...