cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert overwritable media

Rufus
Level 2
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I have been using BE for some time now.  I just configured BE10.d at a remote location and I'm having a little problem with media management.  I use BE9.x at my home location now, so I'm thinking I'm just missing something simple that's different between the two.

I have backup jobs running fine, but it seems tapes will only be pulled from the scratch pool.  For some reason the jobs will not append to the tapes in the media sets, after the first job is completed on them.  I have the media sets configured for a 2 week overwrite period and a 90 day OW protection period.  Backup jobs are set to append, or overwrite if no appendable is available.  I have an eight tape magazine in my loader and all tapes are initially placed in the scratch pool.  They are placed in the media sets when the backup job allocates them.  The job runs the next day and if the scratch pool is empty I get prompted to insert overwritable media and the logs say that no appendable media could be loaded.  The tapes are well inside the append period and have plety of free space.  This setup works fine on my system here.  What could I be missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I have the media sets configured for a 2 week overwrite period and a 90 day OW protection period. 

Did you mean 90 day append period?

Do the jobs specify the same media sets?

Sure sounds like either the OPP is not set, or that the jobs are actually defined as Overwrite only.

Have you tried creating new media sets from scratch and editing the jobs to use them?

Rufus
Level 2
Sorry about that.  I meant to say a 2 week append period and a 90 day overwrite protection period.  The jobs are definately set to append if media is available.  I did create a new media set and a new backup job and I get the same issue.  The tapes in the media sets show as being appendable.  The backup jobs just don't use them. I have a media set for full backups and another for differentials.

Message Edited by Rufus on 05-16-200711:07 AM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You are inventorying the tapes when you change them out, right?

Have you tried a Database Repair using BEUTIL? 

Other than that, I can't think of anything that you haven't already tried

Rufus
Level 2
Hey! I figured it out.

For some reason there were no media types in the list on the tape drive properties.  Normally this list is populated with know media types and Read/Write are set to yes, by default.  The drive properties in my system only contained *** with Read/Write set to NO and I couldn't change it.  Some how this would le scratch media write, but not append to the tapes in my media sets.

I disabled the drive and deleted it.  I then restarted the services for BE.  When I opened the console the drive was already discovered and the media types list was fully populated, as it should be.  I ran a test of my backup jobs and they are working fine.

I can't tell you how it happened.  I'm just glad it's working now.  I'll be keeping an eye on it though.

Ken - Thanks for the suggestions.

Message Edited by Rufus on 05-17-200707:19 AM

Armin_Hennecke
Level 4
Hi Rufus,
I've had the same problem. Any inventory failed. After deactivating and deleting drive and changer the inventory is ok. Thank you for your idea! Now I'm curious if the backup job is ok too...

Greetings, Armin