cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing backup exec 2010 wihtout tap device attached with server

alinawaz
Level 5

Hi All,

i want to know that can i install symantc backup exec 2010 without tap device attached with server. because i want to take backup and store in local server hard drive is it possible?

Thanks

Agha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE 2010 works at file level and BESR works at block level.

BESR is mainly designed for disaster recovery. You can perform a Bare Metal Restore with that to any hardware which is supported by OS. Whereas BE is mainly designed for backups and restores.

Regards...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes it is possible. It is not mandatory to have a tape drive attached to the server to install BE. You can use backup to disk to save your backups to local hard disk.

Regadrs...

alinawaz
Level 5

Thanks Kiran,

can you plz tell me i have symantec backup exec 2010 and SBE system recovery 2010 softwares but what are the difference between them? bcas i am confused both have same features available take backup and restore.

Thanks

Agha

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE 2010 works at file level and BESR works at block level.

BESR is mainly designed for disaster recovery. You can perform a Bare Metal Restore with that to any hardware which is supported by OS. Whereas BE is mainly designed for backups and restores.

Regards...

alinawaz
Level 5

Thanks a lot for very helpful answers.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Cheersss

alinawaz
Level 5

Hi Kiran,

which options i need to select to install backup exec and store the backup on local HDD, it is giving many option during installation like device drivers, robotic library etc... i selected robotic library and advance open file is it ok?

Regards

Agha

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Open a new thread!!!