Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

job fail half way with "0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred"

OGSI
Level 3
BE11d rev7170 SP4 Win2003 Server
I have a full data backup of about 40GB
when I run the job the tape it's working well but running to disk fail mid-way
I use an HP AiO 400r storage server as destination and after about 26GB of good backup it fails with the following message:
**************************************************************************************************************
Job ended: Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 4:05:35 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036

Backup- NAS1
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine NAS1.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Backup- \\NAS1\documents
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Backup- \\NAS1\folders1
Storage device "HP AiO 400r" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
The specified network name is no longer available.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.
**************************************************************************************************************

if it would have failed completely I could accept the idea that there is a problem accessing the B2D location but it only fail after 26Gb of good backup...
I have other smaller jobs running to the same HP AiO 400r location and complete successfully

6 REPLIES 6

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
Sounds like the B2D target is giving an error or dropping off the network.  Are there any errors in the Windows event logs?
This may help:  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321584.htm  Information regarding the Backup Exec Backup to Disk Test Tool - B2Dtest.exe

OGSI
Level 3
now about the log files, I get EventID 33808 at teh time it's failing. the errors:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 33808
Date: 5/21/2009
Time: 4:04:03 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BE_Server
Description:
An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Drive: InitWrite() CreateFile failed (\\B2DServer\G$\Shared Folders\B2D\B2D000821.bkf). Error=64

Event ID: 57665
Time: 4:04:03 AM
Description:
Storage device "HP AiO 400r" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
Data:
0000: 40 00 00 00 f4 84 00 e0 @...ô?.à
0008: 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0010: 93 03 00 00 ?...

Event ID: 34113
Time: 4:05:35 AM
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "BE_Server") (Job: "Full Data backup to Disk") Full Data backup to Disk -- The job failed with the following error: An unknown error has occurred.

OGSI
Level 3
maybe you can figure out something I missed

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
Error reported:

That sounds like the device or the network is failing.  Can you copy 30-40 GB of data to the target using Windows Explorer (or similar)?

Matt_Alexander
Level 5
OGSI, have you been able to resolve the issue? Tried Larry's suggestion on moving data via Explorer?

Dan_Wakeman
Level 4
This is how I finally fixed the same error after a lot of effort and failed attempts.

Test your tape drive to be sure it works outside of Backup Exec. I had an HP drive. Go to hp.com/go/tape. Find the link under "value added software" for "Library and Tape Tools", click that link, download the software. L&TT is a free diagnostic tool for HP tape drives and libraries. If it works, the problem is within Backup Exec. (I was using 12.5 with the very latest drivers, literally posted this week).
  1. Disable the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click on it)
  2. Delete the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click again, need to disable first) This must be done in Backup Exec! Doing the same in Windows Device Manager and rebooting did not fix the problem.
  3. Stop all the Backup Exec services (I did this with services manager & confirmed in Windows Services)
  4. Start all the Backup Exec services
  5. Start Backup Exec
  6. The tape drive should be re-detected.

Dan