cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

job monitor not showing scheduled jobs

Ed_Fitzhugh
Level 2
Out of nowhere, my scheduled jobs aren't showing up in the job monitor. I've checked and rechecked the view settings, and the scheduled jobs is checked, but not showing up. The jobs are running, but I can't see what's coming next. The only online reference I can see is that I need to contact Veritas support directly for the fix.
14 REPLIES 14

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Since when does this occur and what was the change you made, did you for example install a patch or upgrade the version?

Also please try a database repair if that does not work for you try a repair install. Write back here with the results:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Ed_Fitzhugh
Level 2
No changes, no patches. One day there, the next day not.
I tried the database repair process with no change.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Can you check in the left pane, if the 'Show Scheduled Jobs' checkbox is checked?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you do the Database repair from Beutility? Or from Addremove programs?
If you have tried it from BEUtlity try doing a repairing the DB from the Add remove Programs.
================================================
Hope this helps you.
================================================
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Ed_Fitzhugh
Level 2
thanks for the response. I have verified that "view scheduled jobs" is selected. I ran the database repair using the utility, I will try it with the add/remove.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Ed,

Have you also tried with the Add/remove programmes? Do update us on the outcome of these tests.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ed_Fitzhugh
Level 2
Running repair through add/remove programs did not help either...ditching veritas as of this morning. Thanks for the...help.

Thom_Haupt
Level 2
I just ran into this same problem this morning. I am running BackUp Exec 9.1 on a Windows 2000 server box.

I recently replaced my Robotic library and setup jobs for it yesterday. This morning while looking at the running program, it locked up on me and I "End Tasked" it.

When I opened it back up none of my 15 jobs I had created were listed. I then went through the following steps:

-I rebooted the machine
-I updated from 9.1 SP1 to 9.1 SP2 and hit up the security roll up.
-I ran a repair on the Program
-I created a new job. It showed up, but as soon as I closed out the program and reopened it the job dissapeared.
-I tried to recreate the job again and it said the job already exsisted. But I can not find it listed any where and my status bar says that there is no jobs scheduled even though I should have about 20 jobs scheduled.

I will try the repair database programs you listed above this message and hopefully I will have more luck than Ed.

UPDATE: Just ran the repair database and it did not fix the issue. I will try doing an add/remove tomorrow I guess.Message was edited by:
Thom Haupt

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

scheduled backup jobs may not show up in job monitor due to corrupt database. The database corruption can occur due to various reasons. Sometimes the jobs do not appear in the job setup tab as well.

To solve this issue follow these steps.

Warning: The following procedure will delete the Backup Exec data (jobs, selection lists, etc), and install a blank database.

1. Browse to the folder :\program files\veritas\backup exec\NT\data folder.

2. Copy the BEDB.BAK and BEDB_DAT.BAK files to an alternate location.

3. Check the size of the BEDB_DAT.BAK file. It should be 2.93 MB for 9.x and 3.25 MB for 10.x. If the size of the database files differs then the blank database is corrupt. This corrupt database has to be replaced by a blank database.

4. Once the blank database is replaced browse to :\program files\VERITAS\backup exec\NT\

5. Double-click on Beutility.exe

and perform the recover databse as mentioned in the following technote:

How to create a new SQL database in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 when the original database is corrupt and cannot be repaired

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014
This will load the backup of database.

Open backup exec and check if the jobs are listed in job setup and job monitor
On completion minimize BE Utility

Start Backup Exec
Note: Since the SQL database is new, Backup Exec logon accounts will have to be recreated.

Finish the initial configuration wizard and ensure that no backup jobs are listed in job setup tab and job monitor tab.

Close backup exec and open Beutility.

Select Recover database. In the Recover Database dialog box, select Drop existing database and reload from backup

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thom_Haupt
Level 2
My BEDB.bak and BEDB_dat.bak are both 11.8 MB in size so I am assuming that means they are corupted.

When I follow the article, http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014, and choose to "Drop existing database and reload from Base" the database remains at 11.8 MB.

I then attempted to just move those two files and try the "dump and rebuild" and got the error The database base file does not exist.

I am attempting to find out how to get a "blank" database as talked about in your steps 3 and 4 now.

EDIT: I found this thread and the attached blank database. I went through the instructions and it wiped out my backup selections and templates.

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=101&threadID=44857&messageID=4354118灆

Since I was recreating my backup jobs from scratch anyways I am going to move forward from this blank database and see if the program will save and display new backup jobs I create.

Message was edited by:
Thom HauptMessage was edited by:
Thom Haupt

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
I had this exact problem, and the fix was to open a call with Tech support. I e-mailed them my database, and they ran a script on it to fix it and e-mailed it back.

Thom_Haupt
Level 2
Well I created my first two jobs and it seems to have saved them after closing out the program and reopening It. Before that is when it would lose the job so hopefully replacing that bad database is what it needed to hold those in place.

Now I just have to finish recreating about 50 jobs and let it run over night and make sure it holds the settings after a night of maintainence and backups.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on the status of this issue.

Additional Information :

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thom_Haupt
Level 2
Everything is still working after a couple of days. The only thing you need to do to fix this is keep a clean copy of your database backed up somewhere.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Thank you for the Update!
Please confirm if we can close this post then.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information :

Thanks.