cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jpg e-mail attachments not restored

Level 3
Our exchange 2000 private store was corrupted so I created a new store and restored from backup using the exchange agent. The restore finally finished but e-mails with .jpg attachments (and only .jpg attachments as .pdf and others are ok) are restored, but the attachment is replaced with a placeholder saying the attachment was not restored. If we restore an e-mail individually the attachment is there. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try unselecting "Single instance backup for attachments". and then try backing up and restoring.

Also please see the technote below:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274720

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked 'assumed answered' and would be moved to 'answered questions' pool.

Thanks,

Level 3
Thanks for the response, I will change future backups to not use single instance but this does not help me today. We have several thousand e-mails with .jpg attachments on this backup tape we need to get restored. How can we do that other than individual restores?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As mentioned in the technote given earlier that this can only happen if the original backup job was completed using VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 revision 4691 with Service Pack 1 and Hotfix 33 applied, and the job property for Exchange Enable single instance backup for message attachments was enabled.

One possible workaround for this issue is to use the "deleted items retention" or "deleted mailbox retention" function built into Exchange Server 2000 and 2003. Another solution would be to utilize the Recovery Storage Group feature in Exchange 2003 if possible. Alternately, the attached file, or files, to be recovered may still exist in an alternate location

This is the known issue incase of Backup exec v9.1.

We suggest you to upgrade to Backup Exec v10.0

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.

Level 3
While the question was answered it was not answered satisfactorily. This is a major bug and it is causing my client many hours of additional work and disruption to restore the .jpg files. There are thousands of them and they need them all. Your comment about the files being stored somewhere else is not acceptable. Backup Exec is the somewhere else.

I am most disappointed that more effort was not made to make this bug and the associated hot fix more widely known.